13 Rules to Stay Safe in the Doll Shop

I feel like it goes without saying that a doll shop is going to have spooky vibes. Some locations I've told you about, I feel like I had to justify why it's creepy, but not with doll shops. Dolls can be super cute, but also super horrifying. It's a human visage designed for children - there's an inherent straddling on the uncanny valley line involved. Without further ado, here are the rules:

If a doll case is locked, it's not to keep you out.
1a. Some dolls prefer the company of others. Don't get just one of these dolls, unless you already have friends at home. Others are perfectly content to be alone. Let them.
1b. If you must get the doll locked up by itself, have a case handy. She wants her boundaries, and you will suffer if you fail to honor that.Why yes, the eyes are watching you. Related: The heads are not supposed to spin. Leave immediately.You aren't losing it. The dolls are moving around.
4a. This is actually nothing to be alarmed about if it seems random.
4b. If they're methodically appearing closer and closer to you, this is something to be alarmed about.
4c. If one is suddenly in touching distance, run.This is not somewhere you want to be at night, or in a power outage."Free" dolls are troubled. There's always a cost, even if you can't see the price tag. Buyer beware.
Most of the places I've previously described have eccentric owners. This is true for doll shops, but even more extreme.
7a. What I mean by this is the shopkeeper might have skin that's a little too nice, smile a little too in place, eyes a little too unblinking. If it's just the shopkeeper, be extra nice, buy something, and get out.
7b. Like with the bookstore and the hardware store, becoming a regular will get you access to the weird stuff.
7c. If the other customers are looking like dolls, leave immediately.Damaged dolls could have a crack or missing piece because someone dropped her. Sure, that's possible. It's not necessarily true.Dolls really don't consider themselves as an "it" - I strongly suggest referring to them as "he" or "her" (as the case may be). They often also have names - for benign dolls using names is fine. For malevolent dolls, do not say names - doing so lends power.If there's a doll making class, be careful the kind of mood you're in and the topics you broach while making your doll. They're very susceptible to influences early in the creation process.If the dolls start chanting your name, leave. Keep running.Many dolls, particularly older ones, are unstable. Think about it-they've seen dysfunctionality across generations, situations, and different family settings. They can't unsee it all, even if they wanted to.No good ever comes from trying to raise a doll army or commanding the dolls to commit violence.You. Cannot. Uncurse. A. Cursed. Doll. The only thing you can do is pass the doll along.