twenty-one.

I sat on the roof to the warehouses with the dark skies over head, the flat concrete being a good place to watch the stars at night

I sat on the roof to the warehouses with the dark skies over head, the flat concrete being a good place to watch the stars at night. My legs were folded, a half bottle of vodka in my hand as I balanced it on my knee, my hand gripping it tightly. It was probably travelling into early morning by now, but I had come out here just after the sun had gone down. There wasn't a particular reason, mostly to clear my head and get away from the now crowded living quarters. There was now more people sleeping in those rooms than there had been in years, meaning the amount of mugs in the dishwasher was a lot more than the last few years.

This building was made for exactly this purpose. Having the whole team under the one roof was the main goal once we moved into Avengers tower so many years ago. All of my closest friends were in this one building, and I just wish that it was under better circumstances. It was quiet, a light breeze blowing through the trees as the leaves rustled gently with it. The moon was the only source of light in the sky, stars dotted round as I connected them, not a single cloud in the sky. The windows were lit up in the compound as the vast glass spilled out the white light of the bulbs.

"Hey" Tony said as he climbed through the door that sat on the far end of the roof, his eyes finding me as he walked over. "I thought you went home" I told him, straightening out my legs and dangling them over the side of the roof, my feet hitting the tops of the windows. Tony had been spending days at the compound, leaving at night and speeding back home so he could tuck his daughter into bed for the night. Just in case. "No, I've got some work to do tonight" he replied with a shrug, the metal door clanging shut behind him as he walked over next to me. I turned back around, looking over the compound once again as I lifted the bottle to my lips, hovering it in front of them. "Do you need any help?" I asked, even though I was hoping that the answer would be no, I wasn't up for any more work tonight.

"I'll be fine" he told me, letting out a small grunt as he sat down next to me, wiping his hands off of one another. "Make sure you get some sleep" I told him, making him laugh lightly as he shook his head, his nose free from glasses for once. "I'll be wired in coffee and cold pizza" he said to me, making me smile as we sat in silence for a moment, taking in the night sky. I lifted the bottle to my lips, taking a long sip as Tony watched me, my hand wrapped around the neck of the glass bottle. "For someone who can't get drunk, you do work through your liquor" he said after a moment, reaching over and tapping the bottle with the finger nail in a gentle clinking noise.

"It tastes nice" I replied with a shrug of my shoulders, letting my lips touch the rim as I threw back a large gulp of the strong alcohol. I angled the bottle towards him, Tony shaking his head in rejection. "No thanks" he said to me as I set it on the roof between us in case he changed his mind. I pushed my hands in between my legs, letting out a heavy sigh as silence fell over the pair of us. Neither of us spoke for a few minutes, Tony tilting his head up to look at the stars as I stared ahead of myself blankly. "Sometimes I forget that I could theoretically live forever" I spoke after a moment, plowing through the silence as Tony turned his head to look at me, not saying anything in reply.