Chapter 24

Alex's POV

They say when you wish and pray for the time to go by faster, that's when it goes by even slower.

They also say a lot can happen in one hour. And that is so fucking true.

It was one hour before I could go home. I was busy with some paper work, already thinking about going home to my loving wives. Taking a nice hot bath, manipulating one of them to rub my feet while the other one makes me a cup of tea. I had it all planned out.

But I am a surgeon. We don't get to make plans beforehand because just like today, you get disappointed by the little beep of the pager in my pocket.

I really love what I do but today was a hard day for me.

Almost seven months into my pregnancy and this was by far the worst day. The morning sickness was bad yes, but this is different. My whole body is aching, my feet are swollen and I am so tired. Carrying around two other humans is no fucking joke.

I think my hormones are at its peak. I am so emotional about everything. I feel like crying in everything situation, doesn't matter if it's happy or sad. I just want to cry.

The whole day I have been holding my stomach and talking to Riley and Jonah. I am certain Anna thinks I am going bonkers. I just love them so much already and since I don't want to call Stephanie or Maya every hour, they have kept me sain.

Even though they wouldn't care, I still feel guilty when I call them during the day just to make sure they still think I am beautiful. I just want some attention because I feel fat and ugly.

I open the doors to the emergency room and walk to the desk. "Where do you need me?" I ask the two new interns behind the desk. They both just stare at me and then at each other. I am guessing they don't know who I am or they have no idea what is going on in the emergency room.

"I am Dr. Woods from Ortho."

They stare at me with wide eyes, looking confused. They glance at each other looking for help and normally the true, nice and calm Alex would help them but right now I am fuming.

"Uh-uh sorry dr, I am not sure who paged you." the guy behind the desk stutters. "I will try and find out."

"Hurry please." I say a bit harshly and wave him away.

I lean against the desk in total annoyance and watch both of them scrambling around, asking everyone who needed me.

"Tough day?"

I hear a voice behind me and I quickly turn around. Busy writing something down is a woman I've never seen in the hospital. She must be one of the new surgeons. I heard there are a few new people but I didn't bother to check up on it. There was no one new in my department so why worry.

"Kind of yes" I answer with a polite smile.

She only nods and looks back at her file. "I am Jane Vera by the way. Cardiology."

"Sorry. I am Alex Woods. Ortho." I smile and hold out my hand.

She shakes it and smiles. "I know who you are. I think every surgeon in New York knows who you are."

I only frown at her statement, not really knowing what she means by that.

"Don't worry it's a good thing." she slightly chuckles and I see her eyes wonder down my body.

I feel a bit uncomfortable under her stare and shift on my feet. Lately in situations like this I reach out for the things that make me feel better.

All four of them.

So I put my right hand on my stomach and my left thumb reaches out for my wedding ring. My heart stops and my breath gets caught in my throat when I realize my ring is not on my finger.