If...

"Here's Luc!" Emily Carte handed infant Luc to Jeanette.

"He's so cute." Jeanette cooed. She held him securely in her arms. She smiled at the sleeping baby and booped his nose softly. Brian held his head and rubbed it gently.

"I think he'll be happy with us." He said with a pleased smile.

Eight year old Luc smiled at his older brother excitedly.

"Jason!" He called to the nine year old. "Play with me!"

"Okay."

They played Cops and Robbers in the yard; running around and "shooting" each other.

Freshman in high-school Luc aporoached a nicely dressed Indra -- the new student. They were in the cafeteria in the lunch line. Luc unapologetically found him cute.

"Hello." He greeted him.

"Hello. I am Indra Alehanson."

"I'm Luc. Luc Benson. Can I show you around?"

The two made fast friends. They shared their first kiss after school in a bathroom.

"Mom. Dad." Luc called nervously when he brought home an even more nervous Indra.

"Hey, who's your friend?" Pregnant Jeanette asked sweetly. Brian came into the living room.

"This is Indra." Luc said. Indra waved. "My boyfriend."

The family accepted Luc and Indra unconditionally.

Months later Indra and Luc sat on the roof of his condo one night. He held Luc's face in his warm hands.

"Luc," Indra started. "There's something about me you need to know."

"I'm listening." Luc responded.

"I'm not human. I'm a vampire."

Luc smiled, disbelieving. Indra in turn showed him his fangs.

Luc didn't panic. He knew Indra would never hurt him.

"Luc! Indra!" Toddler Alexandria called happily from the house.

She ran onto the yard with them. They picked her up and let her swing from their arms. They all laughed happily.

By age twenty-six Luc and Indra were married. Luc was a doctor: a surgeon like his parents. Jason was a surgeon too. Luc remained human like he wanted.

He and Indra owned a house not too far from his family. They were considering adopting, but ultimately decided to wait. They were happy either way.

Yes. If things had been so different.