I'm Holding Back the Tears Tonight

Angie's POV

It's my mother's death anniversary.

It's a day off of school today, because of teacher trainings. So I didn't bother getting out of bed.

And of course, it didn't help that Kyla, who I had totally forgotten about became of recent events texted me telling me she wanted to meet up today.

I had to find a way to tell her I couldn't.

Kyla-Hey Angie! I feel like we haven't talked in forever! See you at two by the cafe Mallory took us to?

Angie-I can't

Kyla-Why not?

Kyla-Angie are you ignoring me?

Kyla-Why can't you come?

Kyla-Angie answer me!

Angie-ITS MY MOM'S DEATH ANNIVERSARY LEAVE ME ALONE

Kyla-I'll be right over.

Angie-Kyla I said LEAVE ME ALONE

I think that was the wrong approach.

Sam came in with a steaming mug.

"Hey Songbird. I made chamomile tea."

"Hi Mom."

"Are you okay? I know this must be hard."

"It's just sad."

"I know what you need. Some cheering up. You want me to invite the cast over?"

"Sure."

"Here's your tea." She set it down on the night side table and left me alone.

A little while later, the mug was empty, my spirits weren't lifted, and I was out of bed.

I sat on the couch and cuddled with Dale.

Suddenly, Andrea barged in. "Songbird, I brought Taco and we're here to cheer you up."

"We're here too Dre." Mallory added, showing the rest of the cast behind her.

And so they piled in and all hugged me.

"We're here to present, The Cheer Up Angie Show!" Courtney said, doing jazz hands.

It was hilarious, they performed the most hilarious songs from shows they could think of. 

It was what I needed.

"You feeling better Songbird?" Sam asked, giving me a shoulder hug.

"Well, I do want to do one thing."

"What's that?" Andrea asked.

Everyone had gone, leaving just me and my two moms and my dad.

"Can I go visit my mom?"

Andrea face palmed. "Sam how could we forget that?!"

"Get your shoes, let's go." Sam tossed me a coat, because it's now fall and getting New York level cold.

The car ride took a while, but it was worth it.

Stepping into the graveyard, I didn't even have to look up as I walked in the right direction. I felt them following me.

"Hi Mama. I missed you a lot. But I'm doing better. You don't have to worry anymore. Look, I have my new moms right here. And I'm the lead role in Ragtime. I bet you would have liked Ragtime. I love you Mama. I'll see you next year."

I carefully laid some gardenias, which were her favorite, on the gravestone, and stepped back for a moment.

The wind whistled as we all stood there and took in the stillness of the night.

I could have sworn, that as we left and climbed back into the car, that like Into the Woods, in the tree, I saw my mother, smiling at me.

I don't have to hold back the tears anymore.