Sincerely, Me Pt 2

Angie's POV

Mallory screamed because Alex and Andrew jumped out to scare her.

Yeah I'm guessing that wasn't the big cliffhanger you were expecting, but this is real life. Mallory gave both of them a smack on the head, took their stormtrooper masks (other Mallory from Six educated me on Star Wars so I know what those are), and took me to the stage.

We talked for a bit, until she got a call. "Oh one second." She stepped away.

She came back excited and jumping. "I know we just met, but do you want to come to a recording studio with me?"

"What's going on?"

"Okay so you know how I recorded the solo version of Requiem a while ago?" I nodded. "Well, Alex Licamore wants to do another song. It's called Hiding in Your Hands, and it was cut from Dear Evan Hansen. We're recording tomorrow and I'm learning the song today."

(I'm kind of doing things out of actual real life order here.)

"I'd be honored are you sure?"

"Oh course! Do you want to help me learn the song?"

She was texted a picture of the sheet music. We printed it out, and set it up with a keyboard app. Andrew volunteered to play for us.

He slowly plucked out a melody using my phone, and Mallory started humming.

It took a little while, but we learnt about half the song.

"Okay, let's try it with this track they sent me." Mallory said.

"When it's just you, and some song. That you don't how to play. Fake your way through, strum along. Be cool and your okay. So your fingers get tangled in a pile. Your rhythm is a mess. But nobody sees cause you smile and the world will never guess. Can't let them know. Cause no on understands you face can't show what your hiding in your hands." Mallory sang. "Daughter and son, man and wife fill the photos on these walls. Look at the fun perfect life of plastic dress up dolls. Happy house on a quaint suburban street the sun hangs in the sky. Everything framed nice and neat in a lovely little lie. Can't let them know. Cause no one understands, your face can't show, what your hiding in your hands." Mallory stopped. "And that's all we know."

The next day we went to a recording studio, with the song fully learnt. I'd seen the show last night and I was blown away by the talent that literal teenagers displayed. Of course I was way younger than them but still.

Alex looked at me. "Why don't you sing something? We have a demo for you. You may have heard of something called Little Miss Perfect? I'm not involved but someone might want to see you."

It was freaking Taylor Louderman.

"Hi! I'm Taylor Louderman. I recorded the song Little Miss Perfect. We have another song, a sequel song. It's called Ordinary. Not that Little Miss Perfect is going into workshop, we need some demos. You mind helping us out?"

"Didn't Allie Grace already record this song?" I asked timidly.

"Well yes, but the producers wanted fresh new people. So I'm helping to oversee the recording process as a favor to the writers. Why don't you help us out?"

"I already know the song."

"Perfect! Well this is probably your first time in a recording studio. Just start singing when you think it's your cue, and we'll build from that." Taylor helped me to get situated in the booth, and went into the fancy tech area. Through the glass windows, I saw Mallory recording on the other side of the building.

I saw someone pressing some buttons, and I heard music. I started singing, trying to impress Taylor Louderman. I focused on the words in my head and made sure to put as much effort as possible. When the song was over, Taylor looked impressed. She stepped into the booth.

"I'm so rude, I forgot to ask you name." Was the first thing she said.

"I'm Angie Macasaet-Pauly." I blushed.

Taylor smiled. "You remind me of a girl. Her name is Comet. She was adopted by my friend Erica. You probably know about Erika."

I nodded enthusiastically. 

"So anyway, you're really good! Why haven't you been snatched up by Broadway yet?"

"I'm only fifteen. And there's reasons." I mumbled.

Taylor nodded. "You don't have to tell me. But hey, if you ever need an agent, give me a call and I can get you auditions."

"Aren't you an actor yourself? I don't think you've ever been someone's agent." Oh my god I said that to Taylor Louderman how offensive! "I'm so sorry!"

Taylor laughed. "It's okay! You're right. But Angie, I get a feeling you're a special case. Here's my number. We'll send you the final track."

I spent the rest of the week at Dear Evan Hansen. Mallory and I became great friends, and Olivia and I bonded during the shows when everyone was onstage and she wasn't. 

Alex would throw tiny water balloons at me whenever I passed his dressing room door. It became a whole thing. I'd paint his nails before a show.

Andrew would show me his Jimmy Award multiple times in a day, to the point where I could literally mouth every word he said as he was showing it to me.

The night I had to leave, I watched backstage like at Waitress. I was sad to go, but I had three more shows to go to. 

They pulled me onstage during the bows, and Mallory hugged me hard.

"Uh, hi everyone." Andrew said when Alex gently shoved him forward. "I'm Andrew Feldman, obviously. So we've been doing the Internships on Broadway program, you know that. This is our fifth intern, Angie. She's very talented, and actually recorded a demo for a workshop show you may have heard of, Little Miss Perfect, off the bat and nailed it. We're very sad to see her go, and we wish her luck in all her future Broadway roles, which we know she's going to have."

Alex added, "And I'm going to miss hearing her and Olivia play Uno during intermission."

"And I'm going to miss her singing voice when we're warming up before the show." Mallory said. "So one last time before she ditches us for Phantom, we're politely asking her to sing something from the show for us? Possibly Requiem because she can rock that one?"

I laughed and took a microphone from Olivia, who come from backstage. I saluted the orchestra director, and the orchestra began playing Requiem.

I was shoulder hugged by Mallory, and fist bumped by Alex and Andrew, before Olivia hugged me.

I cried as I sang the song. Finally, the song was over. I slid away from the casts hugs, and left the theatre for the last time.