Like a River Runs Dry

Angie's POV

I don't exactly remember what happened after that. I remember sobbing like a manic. I remember Ryder looking shocked at my tears and not knowing how to help me. I remember Brooklyn helping me to breathe. I remember passing out and being carried by someone.

I woke up on a couch. I recognized it, it's Janelle's house. With her mom, Lucy.

"Angel honey are you awake?" Lucy asked.

I blinked. "What happened?"

"Janie carried you into the house. She told me what happened. Honey you can stay here as long as you need to." Lucy handed me a mug. "Hot chocolate. It can't fix the worlds problems but it can make them better."

"What time is it?" I asked quietly.

"It's around two in the morning. Janie wouldn't sleep until she knew you were awake. So I told her to sleep and I'd stay with you."

I started crying. I missed my moms and my dad. And my aunts and sisters. Lucy wrapped her arms around me and let me cry until I ran out of tears.

She helped me drink some of the hot chocolate. "Call your dad honey. I'll be he's not at the theatre."

So I called Matt. He picked up first ring. "Angie! Are you okay!"

"Daddy!" I cried out. "Where are you?"

"Songbird I'm okay. I'm at home. Where's your mom? Where are you?"

"Someone broke into the theatre I think. I'm scared."

"Shh, it's okay. Where are you?"

"I'm at Janelle's house. Mama told me to go to a friends and stay there until they call me. Are they dead!?"

"Songbird it's okay. Stay at Janelle's tonight. Wait until your moms contact us, and I'll come and get you. I'm going to hang up now okay?"

"Okay Daddy. I love you."

"I love you too Songbird." Then he hung up.

Lucy hugged me until I fell asleep again.

When I woke up, Ellie was sitting in a chair opposite of me, anxiously waiting for me to wake up.

"You're awake!" She tackled hugged me. "I was so worried."

"Hi Ellie." I said, smiling slightly.

"Are you okay?" She asked, wrapping an arm around me, and pulling herself closer.

"I'm fine, but my family isn't." I hugged a couch pillow to my chest and took a deep breath.

"Well, why don't you eat something. It makes everything better." She gives me a tentative smile and leads me to the kitchen. "My mom had to go to work, because she's an OB/GYN, but I can cook." 

"Ellie, we both know you suck at cooking."

"Not true, I can now make toast, and cereal, and if I remember to watch the pan I can make scrambled eggs! That's breakfast!"

"No offense Ellie, but I love you too much to let you make breakfast for me." Then I slapped my hand over my mouth.

She froze in shock. "What did you..just say?"

I couldn't respond. I was shocked by what came out of my mouth. What came out was a horrible croaking sound. 

"Angie," she moved towards me. "I love you too."

I started crying. "I love you." I replied, wrapping my arms around her. "But not enough to trust you to cook for me."

She laughed and helped me find things in her kitchen. At the end of the hour we had pancakes and eggs. 

She helped me laugh and pretty soon I wasn't as worried. And then I got a call from Sam.

"Mommy?" I asked quietly. I could tell she was crying.

"Hi baby girl. I've got some bad news. Courtney's in the hospital. During the break in her leg was broken and she passed out from the pain. And Abby was knocked out. Get to the hospital as soon as you can. It'll be okay. I love you." She hung up.

And I don't remember anything after that except a river of tears streaming down my face and Janelle saying she'd drive me to the hospital.