十二 | I've always been scared of him

十二
traitor of the leaf

Kuina rushed after Itachi, and once she caught up with him, he had already reunited with Kisame

Kisame was walking a distance behind Itachi's figure, and once he spotted Kuina, he pressed his lips tightly in disapproval.

"What's wrong with Itachi?" Kisame questioned as he handed her a bottle of cold water. "I bought this for you by the way. You must be thirsty."

Kuina gulped, sweat lining her forehead as she received the water from him. "I think I made him mad."

Kisame furrowed his brows. "Itachi? He's rarely mad. What did you do?"

Kuina clenched her fist on the bottle of pill before she slipped it into her pocket. "I just wanted him to get himself treated, and well, I talked back to him and stuff. . ." she murmured under her breath before she gulped. "I think he's angry at me now."

Kisame made a tutting sound with his tongue, shaking his head. "Ah, I see. That makes sense why he's unhappy then. But don't worry, Kuina, I don't think it's much to do with you. It's more so just that, getting himself treated, and perhaps, just this village itself reminded him of his past. I think more than anything, he just deemed himself undeserving of any medical attention; he probably wants to punish himself. That's why he was triggered when you tried to make him do otherwise." Kisame let out a sigh. "Perhaps, one day, if he finally finds a reason to keep going, he, himself, might take the initiative to get treated."

Kuina furrowed her brows. "Then what reason could make him keep going?"

Kisame smiled before he turned to her. "I don't know. You should try to find out then, if you are so determined to help him. You'll never know, perhaps, the reason is closer to you than you think. . ." He trailed off and his smile dropped into a frown. "Well, but first, we need to get him to stop being irritable. When he's pissed like that, god, you'll never know when you'd die."

Kuina raised her brows. "What do you mean?"

Kisame shuddered and shook his head. "You wouldn't want to know. . ."

Just as Kisame finished his sentence, they approached a clearing and standing by the riverbank was Itachi confronting four Anbu.

"Ah, here we have the treacherous S-rank criminal stepping foot into the Leaf Village as if it is a place for a chilling vacation. You're taking Konoha too lightly, Uchiha Itachi." One of them stated before he placed his hand over his Anbu mask and removed it, revealing a familiar face. "Long time no see, Itachi. I've heard you and your partner have massacred a hundred Anbu that ambushed you last night without flitting an eyelash. But what can I say, you were even capable of killing your own flesh and blood."

Itachi stood still and Kuina had never seen him emitting such a bleak and frightening aura before. His face was shadowed with a brewing wrath, and there was no certainty when his rigid posture would break loose.