五十二 | Why are you so affectionate today?

五十二
his regret

Itachi met up with Kisame who seemed to have had a lot of fun slaughtering the Anbu soon after, and the three of them made their way back to the hideout

The Fragrance was in a terrible shape, seemingly having been drugged. Although there weren't any physical wounds on her, she didn't have much energy to travel, so Kisame had to carry her on his back the whole way back.

It was nightfall before they arrived back at the hideout. They made their way into the living space just to meet up with Deidara, who was pacing about the room in the exact same manner as when Itachi went out to bring the Fragrance back from Konoha's captivity.

Once Deidara spotted them, he stopped pacing and instantly shot towards them with eyes slightly red. He furrowed his brows as he hardened his expression to look tough. "H-Hey, my man, Itachi and Kisame, you guys are finally back!" He exclaimed out in relief, but then, that relief soon washed off his face as his previous panic flew back to him.

Itachi's gaze darkened at Deidara's expression, already speculating why Deidara was holding such demeanour. He took a quick glance at the Fragrance who stood wearily and cluelessly behind him, and his jaw clenched. However, before he could stop Deidara from speaking the next few words, Deidara blurted out, his words tumbling from his lips like a furious flood.

"Hidan and Kakuzu are dead!" Deidara cried as he swayed over to the sofa, almost dramatically, and slumped down. "Zetsu had just dropped by to inform me that they had been killed. God damn it, what a mess!" He placed his face in his palms as he shook his head. "It's getting less and less lively here each and every day. Kakuzu and Hidan were so strong and youthful, how is this even possible? Itachi and Kisame, you two are strong and youthful too, but what if one day, you both—"

"Deidara," Itachi's words rumbled out with a profound warning which caused Deidara's words to instantly freeze in his throat.

Itachi furrowed his brows before he turned over to the Fragrance. She was standing stiffly, looking at the floor. Her face was filled with a shadow, her eyes were wide open but there were no tears in them.

Itachi clenched his jaw, but before he could say a word to snap her out of it, she swayed slightly and slumped down. He caught her barely in time as she fainted, collapsing down cold in his arms.

Kisame looked at the Fragrance before snapping his gaze back up at Deidara. "Hey! Why did you say that when she's here? You know how badly she was traumatised last time because of Sasori's death?"

Deidara shook his head as he wrapped his arms around his body, hugging onto his knees. "I didn't mean to! I was just so frustrated and anxious that I forgot to consider that she's here! I really didn't mean to, I just. . ."

Itachi tuned out their voices as he looked down at the Fragrance's pale and sickly complexion, uncertain whether it was the effect of the drugs Konoha fed her or her shock at the nature of deaths. Either way, he gently scooped her up from the floor, making Kisame and Deidara pause their quarrelling. Ignoring them, he walked down the corridor without another word.