二十七 | Lay down on your stomach

二十七
beyond duty

The birds chirped by the window lattice as the morning beam cast in, licking against Kuina's skin

The birds chirped by the window lattice as the morning beam cast in, licking against Kuina's skin. She snapped her eyes open, expecting herself to still be encaged in the torturous lair of Orochimaru.

Instead, she was greeted with a minimalistic Japanese-style room. The comforting smell of tea she distinctly remembered as Itachi's scent filled her nose. She rubbed her eyes as she peered outside the window. It didn't seem like she was at the hideout, or an inn, but a house somewhere near a remote farmland.

The memory from last night flooded her head, and she finally recalled that she had been saved by Itachi.

She scanned around, but she couldn't spot Itachi anywhere. She figured he probably left for his room next door after she fell asleep.

She shuffled uncomfortably as she pushed herself to sit up. Pain pulsed through her back as she fought against it and stood up from the bed. She groaned as she used the shelves and cupboards as pillars as she made her way to the door. Her body was in so much excruciation that her knees began to wobble.

And as soon as she managed to pull the door open, her legs lost their strength. But before she could collapse down, a strong arm wound around her body, holding her up. She clutched onto the arm as she probed up to meet Itachi's dark eyes.

Itachi didn't smile at her, rather he looked unimpressed. His hair was disheveled and under his eyes were dark eyebags as if he hadn't slept all night. He cleared his throat. "Why are you out of bed?" He muttered as he practically pushed her back inside the room, closed the door, and forced her to sit back on the bed.

She furrowed her brows, her voice feeling dry in her throat. The awkwardness hung deep in the air as he stood, towering over her with his gaze cast down at her. She swallowed as she grabbed a fistful of the bed sheet in her palms to ease her nervousness. "Where are we?" She managed to ask, her voice hoarse and weak.

"My house," he replied casually as he walked over to the bedside table and poured her a cup of water.

"Your house?" She murmured, confused. "We're in Konoha?" She shook her head at her own statement. "That can't be, you're a terrorist, there's no way you still have a house in Konoha. You have your own house outside? I would never have thought Pein pays you that much—"

"You sure talk a lot for someone who was on her deathbed last night," he remarked as he handed her the cup of water.

She received it from him with a thank as she lowered her gaze. "I'm just curious. . ."

He let out a soft sigh. "My father bought the house outside of Konoha for me as a present for getting into the Anbu. Supposedly, it was meant to be a remote home for me and my spouse," he explained calmly as he glanced at her. "Are your wounds alright?"

Kuina kept her gaze focused on the water in the glass, her mind tuning out to his question.

Spouse? She had never known he had one. Sure, she could see his past, but she could only see the important events. Maybe she missed it? She took a sip from the glass, her mind wandering through wild thoughts until she heard Itachi clearing his throat.