六 | Life is born, life dies

defy fate

Itachi leaned back against the wall, exhausted from fighting the Leaf Shinobi

Itachi leaned back against the wall, exhausted from fighting the Leaf Shinobi. It seemed Konoha was alerted that the Fragrance was currently in the Akatsuki's possession, thus several Anbu ambushed him and Kisame in a full force attack.

It wasn't unexpected. He had always known that every nation desired the power of the Fragrance. After the news of the Kaori Clan annihilation broke out, it was inevitable that everyone would be on the move.

The Akatsuki had always been quick on their feet, and he and Kisame seemed to be the first to find a survivor. And now, bounties were placed on their backs; they became the target of the Shinobi world. But no one could ever have the Fragrance, not when she was within his captivity.

And as much as he was confident in his abilities, he was also well aware of his underlying health issues. After fighting for days straight, a few hours of peaceful rest before dawn arrived was what he needed.

However, everytime he was about to fall asleep, an agonising mewl from the Fragrance would jab his ears. He inhaled deeply, keeping himself calm, though it was rather irksome that she would disturb his sleep after he had traded several nights fending off the enemy for her.

At long last, unable to take the noises, he snapped his eyes open, giving up on sleep entirely.

He glanced at the Fragrance, and immediately their eyes met. She blinked at him and a sharp breath escaped her lips. Her round, brown eyes widened considerably as if she had seen a ghost. She snapped them close and pulled her blanket over her head as she turned her back to him.

He raised his brows, watching her. He could still hear her soft moans which sounded like she was in pain, and it terribly uneased him. He had always despised weaknesses, and this Fragrance was the epitome of sheltered and weak.

If she were not so sought by his superiors, he would have given up on her long ago. Her power and her existence never crossed his mind as something relevant, even if she were just as pitiful as Sasuke.

She was shivering beneath the blanket like some kind of scared rabbit hiding from its predator, and Itachi let out an exasperated sigh. After much pondering, at length, he pushed himself to stand and strode over to where she lay.

Since it was his mission and he was curious as to why she would be so noisy, he decided to check up on her.

She had her back to him, and once she sensed his presence near, she flinched before becoming as still as a broken doll.

Itachi crouched by her. Rubbing his eyes to rid the weariness, he pulled the blanket over. She tensed up and remained rigid.

Without thinking much, he reached for her and slackly placed his hand on her forehead. But instead of touching what would feel like skin, he was jerked wide awake as if he had just touched fire. He looked down at her trembling body. Her face was covered in dry tears, her sulky brown hair was plastered against her face and neck that were soaked in sweat.

He furrowed his brows at how unsightly weak she looked, and suddenly he didn't know what to do. It was rare that he would be clueless in his courses of action. But it was also equally rare that he would be put in a position to keep something fragile alive.

He remained still as he fell into a dilemma. He didn't want to touch her because he knew not if his touch would break her. And he didn't want to leave her in this state because she seemed too grave to recover on her own.

He clenched his jaw, hating the momentary uncertainty that overcame him. And being him, when there was a problem he didn't wish to interfere, he pushed himself to stand and turned to leave her be.

But before he could take a single step away, she reached out, grabbing onto the edge of his pants, tugging at him. "W-Water," her voice cracked out, raspy and laboured.

Itachi glanced at her lifeless eyes and gulped. The look was so distasteful. He didn't know why he found everything about her so unsettling that night. He wasn't usually judgemental, but perhaps, it was because the look in her eyes reminded him of his little brother. And he despised the familiarity it brought him.

He clenched his jaw tighter to suppress the strange feeling that was rising in him and walked over to the counter. He poured a cup of water and handed it over to her.

She grabbed it, her hands trembling, spilling half of the water content before she tried to gulp it down her throat which was barely successful.

She coughed, choking on the water before she glanced at him with tears brimming in her eyes. "D-Didn't you say. . ." she spoke, breaking the tense silence. Her words were forced out in broken syllables that sounded almost gibberish. "Life gave me a second chance? W-Why does it feel like I will die?"

Itachi looked at her skeptically. "Life is born. Life dies," he mumbled. "Life is a battle. Just because I said life gave you a second chance does not mean you need not fight for it."

"I want to live. B-But I can't fight anymore. . ." She trailed off as she clutched onto the blanket, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Itachi cast his gaze away from her pitiful face. "If you are meant to die, much to my discontentment, in the end, one cannot defy fate."

She looked up at him, her eyes widened with fear. But then her expression warped into one that looked almost angry. She covered the blanket over her head as if she didn't want to listen to his words anymore.

Itachi raised his brows at her actions, not quite sure what to make of it. He simply said those words to console her as she had always wanted to die, but it seemed to worsen her spirits. He looked at her briefly before letting out a sigh. "What now?" he murmured under his breath. "I am not used to seeing people like this. Get yourself together, Fragrance."

She clenched her fists onto her blanket as she poked her head up. "A doctor," she remarked. "Take me to a doctor."

He took a deep breath and tilted his head towards the ceiling, contemplating on his course of action. At long last, he let out a sigh. "I swear if you were not the Fragrance. . ." He trailed off, couldn't be bothered to finish the sentence, knowing she would still be the Fragrance no matter how many threats he made.

He rubbed his hand over his face before walking over to where Kisame was sleeping and kicked him on the back.

Kisame screamed and shot up straight. He grabbed onto his Samehada, looking around frantically. "Where? Where's the enemy?"

Itachi cleared his throat to earn Kisame's attention. "Are Fragrances usually like this, or have we gotten ourselves a rather troublesome one?"

Kisame raised his brow. "What do you mean?"

Itachi took a deep breath as he shook his head lightly, trying to force himself to be fully awake. "We are taking the Fragrance to the doctor."

*

𝐹𝑅𝐴𝐺𝑅𝐴𝑁𝐶𝐸
うちはイタチ