四十六 | Come, sit down on the bed

四十六
tension

"You can put me down now," Kuina muttered once they were far enough away from Hidan, and she could see the door to the hideout clearly

When Itachi gave no reply, she gulped as she glanced up at him. His face was engulfed with a shadow, and he looked terribly angry.

She tensed her body, fearing that her slight movement might cause him to snap. She cleared her throat. "I-Itachi, it's okay now. I can walk by myself," she repeated under her breath, her voice quiet, not wanting to shatter the silence.

At her words, he seemed to be shaken out of his thoughts. Letting out a discontent breath, he placed her down on her feet.

He took a quick glance over her injured body, and the anger in his eyes surged back. "Naive girl," he murmured under clenched teeth. "Foolish," he rebuked.

Kuina let out a soft and tired sigh. "Sorry."

"I didn't keep an eye on you for one second, and you're out there causing trouble. If Kisame didn't tell me you went to meet with Hidan alone in such a secluded area and didn't make it there in time, you wouldn't be standing here right now. Yet, you still told me to stop when I wanted to end him once and for all?" he spoke, his words harsh and heavy like a mountain crushing down her soul.

She frowned. "S-Sorry," she stuttered, her fists clenching. "I-I just, I'm the Fragrance. I know he shouldn't die now, and not by your hands."

He placed his hand over his face before running it through his hair. A defeated sigh parted his lips. "Your empathy is going to be the death of me, Fragrance. You're going to be the death of me. And once I'm dead, how will you ever survive in this world by yourself?"

Her breath grew sharp, as she lowered her gaze to the ground. "D-Don't say that," she rasped out as she shook her head. "I don't like it."

He looked at her, scanning over her expression and his jaw clenched. He turned away from her before letting out a gruff sigh. "You don't like reality then."

She wiped all the remnant tears away from her eyes as she let out a weary breath. Her body felt weak, and her head felt too light from the bleeding by her neck to argue with him. "I'm tired," she told him at last, as she brought her hand to her neck, clutching onto her wound. "I'm gonna go rest."

He watched her, completely displeased. He seemed to hesitate to say something, but once he saw that she was about to turn away, he instantly cleared his throat. "Is . . . Is your wound alright?" he spoke quickly, his face filling up with discomfort at the simple words of care.

She clutched onto the gash by her neck as she tried to tilt her head from side to side to make sure it was still intact. But instantly, sharp pain lanced through her body, the wound felt like it was tearing at her movement. She winced, tears gurgling in her eyes.