十八 | You're just too cute

十八
torn apart

Kuina had never believed she could get angry with anyone, especially not Uchiha Itachi

Kuina had never believed she could get angry with anyone, especially not Uchiha Itachi. She had seen his vulnerable pasts, and he was someone who deserved the world of love. But when he disregarded her care and said that she was worth nothing more than a tool, her heart felt torn.

More so than angry, she was sad. She knew he was right; she had always been too sentimental, and she had always cared too much for the wrong people. But what he didn't understand was that her empathy was beyond her control. After she used her Fragrance power, she was cursed to be intertwined with his life.

So, for the rest of that week, she tried her best to avoid Itachi - though it wasn't that difficult since he was out of the hideout most of the time.

He seemed terribly unhappy every time she didn't greet him, and she felt guilty every single time. Yet she vowed not to waver just because of that.

About a week had passed since that stormy night, and Kuina was beginning to feel suffocated in the hideout. So, that day, when Itachi left the hideout for his confidential business, she decided to ask Kisame if she could hang out at the back of the hideout and get some fresh air.

The back of the hideout was a secluded area with nice scenery and a deadend by the cliff, making it impossible for any enemy to come by or for her to escape. Thus, Kisame agreed to it, seeing as it was safe.

For the whole day, Kuina spent her time in peace, sitting by the cliff and looking out into the horizon. The sound of the clattering leaves and melodious chirping of birds reminded her that she was still alive. The cattails that blanketed the soil swayed softly along with the gentle breeze, tranquilizing her mind.

Beyond the cliff, acres of woods camouflaged the land and fleeting streams slithered into the yearn distance. At the far edge of the horizon, canopied by velvet white clouds, Kuina could see her home: the hibiscus field that had lost its colour.

Her eyes began to sting at the thought of how her life could have been if her clan wasn't annihilated. Within such a bittersweet world, she truly didn't have anyone left. The incentive she had to live was wearing thin, and she was battling everyday to keep going. She missed her home, and she wished that there would still be someone out there she could depend on.

She sniffled softly, allowing tears to run down her face with the comfort that no one would be there to see it. But before she could let all her emotion gush out, she heard footsteps rattling behind her.

She jolted up and glanced over to see the man whom she didn't wish to see: Itachi. She instantly scowled at him before she turned her face away and desperately wiped her eyes with her palms.

"You are sitting too close to the edge of the cliff," he remarked as he advanced towards her.

"Leave me alone," her words scraped out of her throat, bitter and cold.