chapter 33

Finally, the day they've been waiting for, the day of Somadina's traditional marriage has come.  Somadina woke up as early as 5:30am.  After her morning devotion with her friend, Vera, she hurried to the bathroom for her normal morning routine.  She had her bath and came out for her friend to shower.  She picked her traditional wedding clothes and folded them inside a potable rolling bag she bought for this same purpose.  She put the two shoes she bought for the occasion, her bracelet and two headgear.  She was suppose to take the headgear to the people that would help her tie it that morning but Vera reminded her that it's the duty of make-up artist.  She was still running up and down the entire house picking her things until Vera finished bathing, she doesn't want to forget anything.  Done with arranging her bag, she rolled it to the sitting room before going back to the room to get dressed.  Vera was already dressed when she got back to the room.  She quickly slipped into her gown.  It was one of the gown Rosanna got for her when she came back from Mumbai.  She wore one of her slippers.  Vera was waiting for her in the sitting room with a cup of tea and two slices of bread.  She came out and saw her friend eating.  She demanded for her own which Vera gave to her.  Vera was first to finish eating her breakfast.  She opened the door and took the two bags to the car.

"I'm sure you're not forgetting any of your things."  Vera asked when Somadina came outside to meet her.

"No, I'm not.  Come on, we have to leave now."  Somadina said.

Vera went back to make sure the house was properly locked.  She asked her to drive out so she could lock the gate.  Somadina drove out of the compound and waited outside the gate for Vera to lock the gate and join her.  On their way to her father's compound, she decided to see the  event decorator she hired.  On getting there the place was still locked.  She packed her car in front of the plaza where they have their office to call her but the woman was busying the call.  They waited until 7:00am before one of her worker came to open the office.  Somadina and Vera waited for her to open the store before they went to her.  She told them that their van which they use to transport their equipments break down and has been with the mechanic since the previous day. 

"What nonsense!"  Vera ranged.

"Your madam should have been here to find another alternative.  What am I going to do now?"  Somadina asked so confused.

"She knew she was not going to do the work and she collected my money?  Call her now I need my money to sort myself out!"  She said angrily.  Vera tried calming her down while thinking on what to do next.  She called her aside and asked her to call Rosanna.

"Listen, we have no time as it is now.  Even if the money is handed over to us, it will be very difficult to get a good event decorator today.  Why not call Rosanna?  I think she will be of great help."  Vera suggested calmly.

"I think you're right."  Somadina agreed and quickly called her number.

"Hello, my dear.  How are you?"  Rosanna asked sweetly.

"Things are not going well, mummy.  The event decorator I hired has disappointed me."  She said honestly.

"You hired a decorator when I have an event place?  Sorry I didn't tell you but my workers might be in your father's compound as we speak now.  I'm on my way to check on how far the cooks have gone."  Rosanna concluded.

"Thank you so much mummy.  You're so sweet."  She said happily before turning to the girl with a murderous look.

"I'm sorry ma.  She told me to give you back the money."  She handed the money over to her.  She went to the car to join her friend.

Meanwhile,  Somadina's college classmates and close friends when she was in Ayodele grammar school were already in her father's house and was occupying her room gossiping.  They were six of them.  Benita was in the same street with her then.  They were living directly opposite Somadina's compound.  She got pregnant immediately after their final year exam and her parents married her off to the man and she has four children for the man.