chapter 13

It was sunday morning Somadina and her kids just came back from church service.  The pastor's sermon was one of the best she has heard for that particular year.  And the word kept ringing in her ears repeatedly.  "Do unto others what you would want them do unto you.  Don't ever hurt a man who has in one way or the other be of any kind to you.  Learn how to forgive others no mather how deeply you thought they have offended you.  Don't judge any may for God is the only one true judge. Don't pay evil for good."  The pastor said a lot that day but it was only those words above that kept ringing in his ears repeatedly.  Her mind went back on the day he met chief.  Even without knowing her, he had compassion on her and decided to help her out without asking  for anything in return. But look the way she had treated him.  She didn't care wether he was happy for her decision or not.

After lunch that sunday afternoon, she decided to call him but unfortunately the answer from the other end was "sorry the number you're calling is not available."  She tried Chief's line so many times but the answer from the other end was the same.  She was confused.  She had to apologise to Chief and since his line was not going, she had to find another means.  Suddenly she remembered there was a day Chief gave her his address incase she has any need to see him urgently.   But, since Chief is always coming to her house she never had a need for the address until that day.  Quickly she looked for the bag where she put the pieces of the paper.  The paper was nestling in the corner zip where she kept it.  She was happy as she took the paper and dash out of the house.

She got there about 45minute later.  It was a very big Estate.  It has more than 20 buildings and they are all duplex.  All the building look alike.  Same pattern of building, same colour and same gate.  She drove inside the Easte straight to Chief compound, No 1 Chief Cliford Ibekwe Estate and parked in front of the gate.  She opened the door and came out.  Looking around she said.

"It will be very difficult to find someone in this type of place.  But this is the address he gave to me."  She picked her cell phone and called him again but it was the same answer.  She walked to the gate and knocked gently on it.  And a male voice answered within with a britone voice and the worst English languge she had ever heard.

"Who i dey luk for?"   He asked throwing the gate open.

"Please, am looking for Chief- - - -

"Chief i don traful sin- - -ce." She heard the man say again.

"Who dey follow you yan for there?"  She heard another voice from within.

"Na one fin sisi."  He answered as the man came out to see who it was.

"Hey! Madam, na you?  You no know me again?  I be driver Benard.  I carry your motor come and gife you dat dey."  He said with all smile.

"Com in but Chief as travels.  I no know when i returns.  How children?"  He asked.

"The kids are fine.  I got to go now."  She said as she hurried to her car.

Benard was still smilling waving as she drove out of the premises until she was out of sight.

"But why i den smile as if - - - - -

"Na level now.  That woman wey you dey see so na chief first lady. She born so many childrens for chief.  Plenty childrens.  All of them hansoms and beauties.  But, they follow each other pey pey.  You know fit know the one wey senior."

"Comot!  Chief no get am for childrens.  Na me en you go inheriting all Chief properties."  The gate man said happily.  Benard laughed so long and fell on the ground.

"Day dreaming, hey!  That woman born, she borns efery year childrens for chief.  I born am for boyses en for girlies."  He assured the gateman.  But wait o, chief i no getting family?  Why you tinkin you go inhertes im propery?  I dey talk am efery day say you Ojobor na mumu na today i no say me i right.  He said before they went back to the compound.