chapter 16

Somadina could not sleep when she entered her room that night. She was so sorry for Chief's wife who has spent so many years with this kind hearted man without a child and she was sick. The chance of her giving birth to children is zero because of her age. Poor Chief, no wonder he was never angry no matter how badly Somadina treated him.

Notwithstanding, Somadina was so happy for the story she heard. She has been all along afraid of trusting her five children to Chief. Not because she didn't trust him but she was afraid that Chief's wife and children will not accept her quintuplets. Now, God has answered her in a way that she least expected. Her quintuplets  would be his only children. This is what she wanted and has been praying earnestly for it. She couldn't believe that her prayers has been answered for long without her knowing it. She almost chase Chief out of their lives. It was just like a dream come true.

"I hope I am not dreaming."  She said to herself.  "Someone, please pinch me and wake me up from this slumber." She said aloud as she stretched herself on her bed. Since no one was there with her she pinched herself so deep.

"Awww, it hurts. So this is happening? It is not a dream." She screemed aloud but not for anybody in the house to hear her. She vowed never to allow that opportunity pass her by.

"I have finally found a wonderful and caring dad for my children." She said happily.

"But, to transfer another man's children to another man is not an easy task. Do I consult Remi, their biological dad before doing this? God forbid! He never wanted these children for the first time.". She said truthfully.

"And my mum will never support me on this. Ok, I know what to do. I should visit Yemi home town and find out if what he said about quintuplets is true and if it's true then I will do what I need to do." She said finally before sleep took her to another world.

When Chief and the children left the house that morning. She quickly got ready and left to Yemi's town. It was a forty-munites drive from Lagos. Immediately she got to the village, it took her ten minutes before she saw the first building in that village. It was like "thank God."  She pulled the vehicle by the corner of the road as she was alighting from the car, she saw a woman and a young girl of about fifteen standing at the middle of the compound looking towards her direction. She closed the front door of the car and went straight to meet them.

"Good morning". She greeted in their dialect.

"Good morning, how are you? The elder woman asked.

"Fine ma, thank you. Please ma, I am a student from the University of Lagos. I am here to find out about the tradition of this land.  She lied.

"What! You're a student and was asked to come and find out about our tradition. Young girl, if you value your life so much run away from this village. The people of this village hate strangers with passion." She warned before leaving the compound with cutlass and basket. And ordered the younger woman to get inside the house immediately and never to come out until she's out of the compound.  So the younger woman who later introduced herself as Shade quickly went inside and closed the door behind her.  Somadina stood there until the elder woman is out of sight. Quickly she tapped  the door and the young lady opened.  She first of all introduced herself to the young girl before telling her how important her mission is.   The young girl also introduced herself and told her she cannot help her because their traditions were meant only for the indigen.

"Please, help me. Just tell me something about child bearing in this village." Somadina  pleaded.

She smiled and narrated to her everything she knew about child bearing. The happiness that accompany every single child born in a home for a Period of one month.