Chapter 29

Vera woke up very early to carry out her pregnancy test with pregnancy test strip.  The test was positive.  She was downcast as she went inside the room.  Somadina saw her face and noticed that something was wrong so she decided to find out what it is and to cheer her up.

"What is it?  Why do you look as if the whole world has fallen on you?"  She asked.

"It's positive."  Vera replied.

"What is positive?  Are you pregnant?"  Somadina asked.

"Yes."  She said tears falling from her eyes.

"Is that why you're crying?   Have you talk to James about it?"

"No.

"Then call him.  Let's hear what he has to say about it."  Somadina advice as she stretched her hand to pick her phone from the bed.  It took some seconds before James finally picked the call.

"Hello, Vera how are you?  Why are you calling this early?"  He enquired.

"I - - - I am pregnant."

"What do you want me to do?  Go and flush that thing out."  He commanded as he cut the call.

"What?  You're not serious, are you?"  Vera asked surprised.  This is the same man that told her he made a mistake getting married to his wife.  The same man that promised to  have her as his second wife.  And now that she's pregnant - - - -

"What happen?"  Somadina asked.

"He cut the call?"  Vera said soberly as she called him again.

"What in heavens sake do you what?  Did I not pay you for the time we spent together?  Girlfriend, what we had together ended immediately I took you to the park yesterday.  So, sort yourself out!  And don't call this line again."  He shouted.

"You see, I told you that man is not for real.  He has gotten what he wanted and now he's behaving funny."  Vera was confused.  And she cried as would a baby, Somadina felt pity for her as she consoled her.

"Hey! Girlfriend, why not wear off that gloomy face of yours.  This is not the end of the world, you know.   Vera refused to be pacified.  But she kept doing all in her power to make her brighten up again. 

"Did I tell you I got a job for you?  A business tycoon need a company to Audit the company's account and I referred your company to him."  She said so excited. 

"You do?"  Vera asked still not cheerful.

"Oh, come on girlfriend, you should at least be cheerful and thank me.  Yes, thank me for that great job after all you didn't pay me before I did that."  The way and the manner with which she said the words amused Vera and she started laughing.  Somadina watched her as she laughed.  She was so happy she was able to cheer her up.

"That's more like it.  You're laughing.  Now, get up let's go fix breakfast." 

"I'm not hungry."

"Says who?  Get up Joo."  She said jokingly as she took her hand to help her up.  Breakfast was fried egg, bread and  tea.  They chat while preparing breakfast and since it was based on division of labour that made the breakfast to be ready earlier than expected.  They took their breakfast in silence.

It was 9am before they got to the office.  Somadina was shocked at the volume of work piled-up in her office.  She had left lots of work undone the previous day and today, she has to finish them before going for today's work.  If there's anything Somadina hated most, it's transferring sales from receipts to sales day book.  But she has no choice than to do the work since she has not employed anyone for the job yet.