chapter 3

It had been three days since Somadina moved in with Yemi. She is begining to enjoy her stay over there.  She had stopped being unnecessarily angry with  Yemi.  She has decided to accept her fate.   Even though she never planned this for herself, but now that it had happened, she has no choice than to accept her fate and be happy. 

It wasn't easy for Yemi to convince her to move in with him.  On that particular day, she was so hostile with her boy friend, Yemi.

"But why should I move in with you?  She yelled.  For all I know, it's only married couple that can stay in the same house."  She said angrily.  Something she has never done since they knew each other.

"Calm down, darlyn.  I promise to pay your bride price immedi-ately the child is delieved."  Yemi pleaded.  "It's an abomination to pay bride price for a girl who is already preg- - - - - - -

"Abomination!  Abomination! That's all I hear from you!  She snapped.  Do you even consider how I feel?  It wasn't an abomination to sleep with me but it's an abomination to get married to me because I'm pregnant with your child!  She yelled the more,  furiously.

"Baby, please, why not try to understand.  Our people believed that once you pay bride price for a pregnant woman, you are married to both the mother and the child.  Tell me, my love, how  can I be married to you and our baby, huh?  You know I love you so much, don't you?"  Holding her close to himself he pleaded.

Somadina also loved him so much.  She was ready to accept anything for the sake of her unborn baby but how would her mother handle this?   Will she be happy to see her only child pregnant outside marriage ?  She reasoned.   Resting  her head on his chest  she wiped.  Tears flowing down her cheeks ceaselessly.

"Please, stop crying.  He consoled her stroking her long hair lovely.  Yemi knew exactly how to make her fall for him.

Two days has passed.  She knew she was wrong, she was wrong for keeping her pregnancy a secret from her mum.  Whatever way herr mum would take it, she don't care any more.  She has made up her mind to tell her about her pregnancy and where she has been putting up for the past three days. 

She lied to her mum when she called her on phone three days ago, she told her she was putting up with her best friend, Vera.  She made up her mind to correct those lies.  That morning she got dressed and went to see her mum.  Her mum has just finished preparing a delicious meal when she got there.  The aroma filled the air and that sent het stomach itching for food.

Her mum was very happy when she saw her.  They hugged each other as two lover who had not seen each other for years.  After much pleasantries with her mum, her mum decided to serve breakfast for the two.  Althoigh, they ate in silence, her mum knew without doubt that her daughter really enjoyed the meal.

"Are you finally back home?" Her mum asked.  She was not expecting that question so she stammered.  "No. I - - -  I'm never gona come back, mum."  She said.

"But, why?"  Have I been behaving badly with you? Her mum asked with a lot of concern in her voice.

"No, mum.  Nothing like that. I- - - I'm pregnant".  She said forcing the words out of her mouth.  She waited for her mum reaction but she was so calm as she stared at her daughter not saying a word.  From the expression on her face, one would know for sure that she was not happy at all.  Tears gathered on her eyes and when she blinked, streams of tears rolled down her face.  Somadina got up from her seat, knelt down before her mum, she wiped away her tears with her handkerchief.

"Mum, I'm so sorry, please forgive me".  She cried.  Her mum was touched.  She held her closer to herself as both daughtter and mother cried uncontrollable.