My Problem is You

Demi's POV

The more the night progressed, the more I found myself doubting my decision that I had just made hours before. As I sat there, and listened to Wilmer talk about his day, and the things that he was wanting to work on, I found myself slipping away. I was sucked into my thoughts, and brought back to the only thing that has been consuming my thoughts these days, Nick. I thought about the kiss, I thought about how we were locked away in that tiny room, and the dream that I had, but most of all, I thought about the conversation that I had with Nick, today. I knew that I probably caught him off guard, but did he really mean what he said? Did he really feel nothing? Just then I head Wilmer get a little louder.

"Demi, are you listening?" he asked me as he leaned forward to catch my attention.

"Sorry, yeah, you were talking about your upcoming projects that you are working on," I said as I sat up a little straighter, and reached for my glass of wine to take another sip. Once I set the glass down, I leaned back in my chair a little, and looked up at Wilmer. I sat back, and watched him ramble on once more, and it was then, that I started to feel disconnected. I couldn't take it anymore. I leaned forward and decided to speak up.

"I am sorry, I can't do this," I said as I set my napkin on the table. Wilmer immediately closed his mouth, and then looked at me worried.

"What do you mean, you can't do this? Do what?" He asked in almost a whisper. I watched as he swallowed a lump down his throat.

"This. Us. I can't do it anymore. This is not want I want," I said as I pushed my chair back and started to walk out towards the main entrance.

"Demi, wait!" I heard WIlmer shout as he made his way from the table and followed me closely behind. Just as we made it outside, he grabbed my arm, forcing me to turn around. "Demi, stop. Talk to me," he begged.

I looked up at the sky, and then back up into Wilmer's eyes. I knew, what I was about to say, was going to break his heart, but I repsected him enough to tell him the truth. I let out a deep sigh, and then continued to speak. "Wilmer, you know that I love you so much. I want nothing more than to be the girl of your dreams. It has always been you and I, and you will always be my first love, but-"

"But?" he said as he dropped his hand from my arms, and looked at me with sad eyes. He knew what was coming, and he knew his heart was about to be broken.

"But, lately, something inside of me has changed. I can't really explain it, and I can't really say how or when this happened, but somewhere along the way, I have found myself developing feelings for someone else. I don't even know if I will act on these feelings that I am having, but it is not fair to lead you on, and continue this relationship when I am daydreaming, thinking, and fantasizing about someone else," I said. I watched as he winced at my words that stung him.

"I was never going to stand a chance against the big, hotshot in New York, huh?" He said as he hung his head.

"You did. I am not sure how this happened, and like I said, I don't even know if there is something there, or if I will ever act on those feelings, but right now, I know in my heart, that I need to walk away. Somewhere along the way, you and I become disconnected, and it may have been my fault entirely, but this is what I have to do, and I hope that if anything, we can still be friends," I said as I reached out to touch his arm. Wilmer took a step back, and then looked down into my eyes.

"Demi, I can't just be your friend. It is impossible to be friends with someone who you were in love with, or who you are still in love with. You may feel disconnected, but, with you, my heart has always been full. There has never been anyone else to take that feeling away. I appreciate you being honest, but I can't just be your friend. So, if this is what you want, then this will be the end of you and I, for good," he said as he held his breath, and waited for me to respond.