Chapter 10

'SCAR?!' 

The mayor turned at the sound of Grian's voice, insides turned to ice, trying not to panic and fly away. 

'Hey, Grian...'

'HOW COULD YOU?!' The builder screamed. 'HOW COULD YOU DO THIS?!'

Scar backed away. 'Do... what?' 

'JOIN THEM!'

'Who?'

'THE WATCHERS! THE ONES YOU'RE HOLDING THE MASK OF! THE ONES WHO GAVE YOU YOUR F****NG WINGS!'

'I... have no idea where I got the wings from! They just started growing one day, and I couldn't stop it.'

'SHUT UP! STOP MAKING EXCUSES!' 

'What's wrong with having wings?!'

'WHAT'S WRONG WITH HAVING WINGS?! SCAR, THOSE WINGS HAVE DESTROYED HERMITCRAFT!'

'Hermitcraft is still here? Isn't it? We're in Hermitcraft now. Grian, please explain yourself, you're scaring me!'

'THEY'RE KILLING US OFF. THEY'RE KILLING US OFF BECAUSE YOU LET THEM. YOU CHOSE TO JOIN THEM TO GET SOME PROMISE THAT THEY'LL BREAK! AND NOW EVERYONE IS GOING TO SUFFER FOR IT!'

'Grian, I swear I have no idea what's going on...'

'DON'T LIE TO ME! WHAT DID THEY TELL YOU? WHAT DID THEY PROMISE? WHAT MADE YOU MAKE THIS DECISION?'

'No one's told me anything! I've not been promised anything recently.' But even as he spoke the words, he realised they were a lie. If the figures in his dreams were these watchers, then...

'What do the watchers look like?' He asked.

'Tall, long cloaks, wings, and masks exactly like the one you're holding.' Grian calmed down enough to say.

'I... had a dream about them...'

'What did they tell you in this dream? What did they promise?'

'I... they told me if I told anyone, the promise would be broken.'

'The promise never existed to start with. There is no 'promise.' They'll take what they offered to save and leave you as the last one alive to see what you've done.'

'How do you know?'

'HOW DO I- know?'

'Yes. Who told you this? What's so wrong with the deal they made?'

'Scar, whatever they promised you is as good as gone. They'll take you from Hermitcraft and burn it to the ground, before they show you what they did with sick smiles.'

'Grian, how do you know this?! I overheard Xisuma talking about a world called Evo, that was destroyed.'

The name Evo seemed to break something within Grian. He let out a sob, but bit it down again.

'Yes.'

'Did you know someone from this world? A friend? Is this something to do with your wings?' Scar couldn't stop himself from asking a million questions. 

'It's none of your business, Scar.' Grian spat. 

'If I'm facing this now, then I at least want to know how you know what's going to happen.'

'BECAUSE EVO WAS MY SERVER!' 

'Your... server...?' Scar stepped further away as Grian's fury rose.

'YES! MY SERVER. THE WORLD I MADE, AND WAS ADMIN OF, AND SHARED WITH ALL OF MY FRIENDS!'

'So your friends are dead? How did you escape?'

'BECAUSE I WAS THE ONE STUPID ENOUGH TO JOIN THEM IN RETURN FOR EVO BEING LEFT IN PEACE. FOR MY FRIENDS TO SURVIVE! AND THEN WHEN THEY TOOK ME BACK TO VISIT LATER, IT WAS GONE! DESTROYED! ALL OF MY FRIENDS MURDERED! THERE'S NO WAY THEY'VE ESCAPED. THEY'RE DEAD, SCAR, AND IT'S ALL MY FAULT. AND NOW HERMITCRAFT, MY HOME, OUR HOME, WILL FALL THE SAME WAY BECAUSE I WAS SUCH A F***ING COWARD THAT I DECIDED TO RUN AWAY!'

'I didn't know.' Was the simple reply from Scar. 'You never said. I'm sorry.'

'BECAUSE THAT'S ALL YOU CAN SAY, ISN'T IT. 'OH, I'M SORRY THAT YOU LET YOUR WORLD BURN.' 'I'M SORRY THAT I'M LETTING THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO THIS WORLD.' 'I'M SORRY THAT NOWHERE IN THIS ENTIRE MULTI-VERSE IS SAFE UNTIL I LET THEM KILL ME!''

'I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THEY WERE EVIL!' Scar bellowed back. 'NO ONE TOLD ME! NO ONE STOPPED ME BEFORE I INEVITABLY BECAME THE BAD GUY AGAIN!'

'What did they offer? What did they say? What deal did they make?'

'If I tell you, it will be broken!'

'IT'S BROKEN ANYWAY! JUST TELL ME WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN, AND STOP AVOIDING MY QUESTIONS!'

'NEVER!'

'SCAR! TELL ME! I NEED TO KNOW!'

'I CAN'T!'

'YOU CAN, AND YOU WILL! I TOLD YOU MY SECRETS, SO THE LEAST YOU CAN DO IS TELL ME YOURS!'

'I CAN'T TELL YOU, OR IT WILL HAPPEN!'

'YES, YOU CAN! UNLESS YOU WANT HERMITCRAFT TO BURN?!'

'IF I DIDN'T ACCEPT, THEN THEY WOULD'VE KILLED CUB!' Scar screamed the words. 'THEY WOULD'VE DESTROYED THE LAST PERSON I HAVE IN THIS WORLD THAT UNDERSTANDS WHAT I'VE BEEN THROUGH. AND NOW I'VE TOLD YOU, HE'S GOING TO DIE ANYWAY!'

Without any other words, Scar flew away. 

'SCAR! COME BACK! I DIDN'T KNOW! I'M SORRY! PLEASE...' But he was already gone. 

Blinking back tears, Scar shot towards Cub's pyramid. He landed in a pile of sand outside, and opened the front door. 

He could see anyone as he entered, and his blind panic led him to screaming his friend's name, loud enough to echo over the entire pyramid. If he was here, he would've heard. If he wasn't dead- no, he wouldn't be dead, he couldn't be dead... No one came. There was no one here. The mayor found a deserted corner, slumped down, and wept. 

Grian?

A small voice in his head that wasn't his own spoke. Scar paused mid-sob.

Grian? Is that you? 

'N-' No?

Who are you? 

Scar. 

I'm a friend of Grian. 

I don't believe you. 

You should. Please. I'm trapped in a prison with someone from Hermitcraft. We're looking for a way there.

Someone from Hermitcraft? Jevin? Or Impulse? Or Mumbo? One of the ones who died?

I've forgotten their name, and I'm too scared to ask again.

Really?

Yes. Will you help us?

Fine. 

Thank you! Scar, thank you so much.

It's ok. I've thrown away everything else in my life. Why not invite strangers to Hermitcraft as well.

What do you mean?

Well, I've just given away something that will kill my best friend, and everyone else thinks that I'm killing my other friends.

I'm sorry- wait, I've got to go. Speak to you soon, ok?

Ok...

The voice disappeared from Scar's head and he was left more alone than ever before. He began to cry again. He didn't know how long he spent there, every second more convinced that Cub was dead. Until someone appeared in front of him. Scar looked up, expecting to see his friend. Instead, it was...

'Doc?'