Chapter 6

Whatever emotions Tango felt, they weren't good. 

He looked over the room, Scar, blood everywhere, Impulse... His friend was dead. Impulse was dead. And Scar had killed him.

'I didn't do it!' The mayor yelped. 'I was in aquatown, and I heard a scream, and I came up here to see him dead!' 

'LIAR!' Scar backed away from Tango as he screamed the word. 'YOU KILLED HIM! YOU KILLED HIM AND YOU KILLED JEVIN! YOU'RE A MURDERER! YOU'RE... YOU'RE...'

'I DIDN'T DO IT!'

'THEN WHO DID?!'

'I don't know! I didn't see anyone!'

'Then where are they? Did they fly away? Did they spontaneously disappear? Are they still standing right in front of me, lying?!'

'Where's the weapon? Surely if I killed him, I'd still have the weapon?!' Scar invented hastily.

'I don't know where you hid it. All I know is that I came up here, and saw you standing over the body of my best friend, with no one who could've done it nearby!' Tango sunk down next to Impulse, hiding his face. Scar stepped away, unsure of what to do.

'Get Xisuma.' 

'What?'

'Are you deaf as well as a murderer? Get X! If Impy's still alive, he can help!'

Scar ran off, down the tower, and emerged at the bottom, heart racing. He took to the air, hoping the admin was in his base as he sped towards it. Luckily, his journey was even shorter than expected, spotting Xisuma restocking his shops on the other side of the shopping district.  

'Xisuma! ImpulsemightbedeadandtangotoldmetofindyouandHELP!' The mayor burst out in a jumble of words as he crashed into the moon biome. X looked around, surprised at the sight of an almost-crying Scar. 

'What?!'

'Impulse might be dead. Tango thinks it's my fault... HELP!'

Xisuma instantly flew into the air. Scar followed. 

'Where is this?'

'In his tower in Aquatown.'

Xisuma landed on the roof, and raced down to see exactly what Scar had said. Tango stepped away to let the admin look closer. 

'Please help him...'

'I can't promise anything.' Xisuma replied. Tango looked on, biting his lip, as the admin examined the body. There was silence for a moment. 

'Is it... it..?' 

'Permadeath. There's nothing I can do.'

'What?! No!' Tango cried out, refusing to accept the news. 

'I'm sorry.' 

Tango knelt next to Impulse again, pretending he wasn't as upset as he was. Xisuma looked on, distracted momentarily as Scar snuck into the room. 

'Permadeath?' The mayor whispered. X nodded. 'Do you... do you think that I?' Xisuma looked away. 

'I don't know.' He muttered in reply. He looked over at Tango, who's emotions were overflowing again. 

'WHY DID YOU DO THIS?!' Tango spat at Scar 'WHY DID YOU KILL HIM? HOW DID HE DESERVE THIS?!'

'I didn't do it...' Scar whimpered, tired of trying to defend himself. 'I swear on anything, I didn't...'

'GET OUT! JUST... GET OUT!' 

'Tango, calm down...' Xisuma attempted to intervene. 'I don't know what happened, but...'

'SHUT UP! SCAR DID IT! NO ONE ELSE COULD'VE DONE IT! SCAR KILLED IMPULSE! SCAR KILLED MY BEST FRIEND! AND HE'S NOT EVEN ADMITTING IT!'

'Scar, tell me what you...' The admin glanced back to see the mayor sitting against the wall, crying into his knees. Tango had broken down into tears again. 

'I'll put something in chat, so people know.' Xisuma decided instead. 

'No.' 

'What?'

'I'll do it.' Tango opened chat and typed his messages. 

Tango: Scar killed Impulse.

Tango: It's in his tower in Aquetown

Bdouble0100: WAH?! I'M COMNIG OVRE11!1!

Grian: impuless dead1?

Tango: yes

It didn't take long for Zedaph to arrive, and he didn't say anything when he did. He just sat down next to Impulse. Bdubs appeared later, and promptly began screaming at Scar.

'WHY DID YOU KILL HIM? WHY DID YOU DO THIS?! I TRUSTED YOU! YOU WERE MY FRIEND!' The mayor tried to get away as Bdubs shoved him against the wall. 

'I didn't! I didn't do it! Please! Bdubs! Stop!'

'Bdubs, calm down!' Xisuma ran over, having to literally drag the wide-eyed boomer away. He continued to screech, crying and yelling. Scar remained flat against the wall, panting.

'I didn't do it... please... Bdubs...'

'I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!' 

'TANGO SAID SCAR DID IT! TANGO WOULDN'T LIE ABOUT THIS! SCAR'S A KILLER! WHY IS HE STILL HERE?! HE DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE HERE! HE DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE MAYOR!' 

'I DIDN'T KILL IMPULSE!' Scar bellowed through his emotion. 'I'M NOT ALWAYS THE BAD GUY!'

'BDUBS!' Xisuma interrupted loudly, silencing the two, just as Grian appeared, hurrying in.

'Why are we all shouting?!' He questioned. 'Scar, is it true you killed Impulse?' 

'I didn't do it... I swear I didn't do it...' The mayor had slid back to the ground again. Xisuma was somehow managing to stop Bdubs from yelling at him. 

'Can I see the...?' Grian stepped closer to where Impulse was lying. Tango hissed - literally hissed - at him.'

'STAY AWAY FROM IMPY!' He snarled protectively. Grian backed up. 

'Sorry, I didn't realise you were... wait, what's that?' Grian spotted something white amongst the red-turning-brown of blood. Before Tango could stop him, he'd snatched up half... of a watcher's mask. 

He paled quickly, and threw it at the ground, stumbling away. 

'Grian, what's wrong?' Xisuma asked sharply. 

'I know who did this... I can't deny it further.'

'Who is it?! Who killed my friend?' Tango interrogated ferociously. 

'If I say, it will be so much worse for everyone...'

'Grian, I need to know...' X pursued the answer further. 

'It's not like it can get much worse anyway...' Came a pessimistic mumble from Scar. 

'WHO IS IT?!' Bdubs snapped. 'I NEED TO KNOW.'

'I can't tell any of you... but this... threat...'

'Grian...'

'If any of you are thinking of trying to fight it, there's no hope...'

'Just tell us what it is and stop stalling!' Tango burst out.

'Fine! They're going to kill us all!' Grian tore the words from his mouth. 'Hermitcraft is over!'