First Mission On The Job

A few days after Jim came back, for who knows what, Blinky had us all gathered in the Hero's Forge, reading from a troll history book.

"For centuries, the troll and human worlds stood separate and at peace, divided by bridges that acted as doorways between our two realms. But the Gumm-Gumms wanted to devour all of mankind. They were led by Gunmar, "The Black." The rest of trollkind fought against him, culminating in the great Battle of Killahead Bridge, the portal to Gunmar's Darklands. After many moons, good triumphed over evil, and our great Trollhunter, Deya "the Deliverer" locked Gunmar away, exiling him into the Darklands, and sealed the Killahead Bridge with the sacred amulet. After, we tore it apart, stone by stone. We left the old world in search for peace. We stowed away on a ship called the Mayflower, just a handful of us and some gnomes we'd brought along for companionship and nourishment. Finally, we arrived in a strange and exotic realm." Blinky read.

"New Jersey." Aaarrrggghhh!!! said.

"We kept walking. Eventually, we came across a new heartstone and we realized we found a new home... under Arcadia."

Toby, Aaarrrggghhh!!! and I smiled, listening to the story, while Jim was asleep.

Yeesh. Tough crowd.

Blinky, annoyed, walked up to me and handed me the book. I slammed the book as hard as I could, waking Jim up, "Lo siento, Senior Draal! No me mates!"

Not gonna lie. It was hilarious.

"The training of troll history might seem like a minor duty, Master Jim, but-" Blinky tried to say.

"Sorry, I pulled an all-nighter studying for my Spanish comprehension exam and my brain is muy gooey. I don't know, I guess I thought if I'm facing Draal in a week, my training would be a little more active."

"Yeah, like when is he gonna learn troll-kwondo? Or rock-itsu?" Toby said doing various fighting poses.

"You know, the useful stuff he'll need to fight Draal." I said.

"Before one fights, Toby D., one must understand why one fights. For these precious early steps will decide whether a young trollhunter will become a Deya "the Deliverer"..." Blinky said.

"Or Unkar, "the Unfortunate." Aaarrrggghhh!!! added. We looked at the statues of the Trollhunters. Deya's arguably the best trollhunter ever, if I do say so myself.

"Well, tomorrow, my Spanish exam is with Senor Uhl, "the Unforgiving." Jim said. "My main concern is for my immediate future."

"Aha!" Blinky said, "But, to learn what will happen in the future, one must look to the past." He hands Jim the book, "I recommend "A Brief Recapitulation of Troll Lore" by the venerable Bedehide. Volume 1 of 47."

"Hope you're a fast reader." I said. As much as I loved troll history, I'd rather use that time to work on my magic. Assuming I didn't damage anything in the process, of course.

"Ok." Jim said, "But if I don't pass the exam, I'm grounded and I can't be the Trollhunter. Sorry, Blinky, but the amulet chose me, and now I have two lives to keep up."

I felt bad for Jim. I wanted to talk to him, but just then, a lady troll ran into the Hero's Forge in a panic.

"Oh no! Is it the Heartstone?" Blinky asked.

"No, no." The lady said.

"Stalkling?" Aaarrrggghhh!!! asked.

"Is Bular in Trollmarket?" Jim asked.

"No! Gnome! Rogue Gnome!" The lady cried.

Oh, no.

We're doomed.