This Is Interesting...

Amber had found me after my lesson with Vendel.

This time, there were splashes of ink all over my face. Just. My. Face.

"So, what was it this time?" She asked.

"Well, Vendel decided to put aside the coal lesson for now." I said, "He decided to go for something 'less complex in matter.' Turning water to ink."

"It looks like you succeeded."

"But is water supposed to bubble while it transforms and then burst in your face?"

"No?"

"Exactly. Did the gnome I sent out get anything interesting?"

"He got you a box of nougat nummies. But there's some glass stuck to it, so there's something for me."

"Hey, what's going on?" I noticed the trolls were gathered over a raised bag.

"Hey, what's up? Blood sacrifice?" Amber asked one of the trolls.

"Intruder." They said.

Oh, no.

"What? How did they get in?"

"Where's Jim?" I asked, looking around the crowd.

Jim showed up in his armor, "Hey, stop! Let him go! I'm the Trollhunter. I'll deal with it. Let him go."

After some reluctance, the troll dropped the bag.

Aaarrrggghhh!!!, Draal and I stood at his side to back him up as Jim opened the bag.

It was a human man, "Oh. Thank you, Jim."

Everyone flinched back as I stepped closer to Jim, wand in hand.

"How did you get past Trollmarket's barrier and how do you know my name?" Jim interrogated.

"Master Jim, it's me, Blinky." The man said.

"What?" I said.

"No." Aaarrrggghhh!!! said, "He lies."
I stepped a little closer to the man, "He does sound like him."

"Strike the fleshbag down." Draal said, "He's seen too much."

"I can prove it." The man said, "Your mother is Barbara Lake. Your best friend is Tobias Domzalski. Your father disappeared when you were five. And Rose Gold, you were found as an infant, raised and trained to be a wizard. You also ran out of iron flakes from last night's lesson."

Yeah. The only ones who were in the room at the time were me and Blinky.
It just seemed a bit too odd for him to be a changeling. Too precise. While Jim was intrigued, the trolls were still suspicious.

"The changeling spy has studied you." Draal said.

"And we just replaced the ignition on your Vespa last week."

That was the final nail on the head for me.

"I believe him." I said, walking up to the man.

Everyone else just looked at me strangely.

"Rose! What are you doing?" Jim asked.

"Don't you think it's a little too much of a coincidence for him to be a changeling?"

Despite my protests, Jim stalked closer to Blinky with his sword held up, "Did Strickler put you up to this? You're working for him, aren't you? How did you get in here? I won't ask again."

"Jim, just hear him out."

Blinky swatted the sword away, "I do not appreciate your tone of voice, Master Jim. Is this the way you address an errant stranger in need? I expect more from you."