Let The Power Surround You

I was planning on going back to Douxie's shop that day to finish my lesson. He already figured out what I had to do and I had to leave before he could say it. This time, I'm gonna make sure no one would mess that up.

Blinky and I and some other trolls were walking around the sewers when we heard banging. Blinky told us to be quiet as he went to see what was going on and I went with him.

We saw Jim fighting Nomura and Strickler, Jim pinning Nomura against the wall with his shield, "Great Gorkus! What is the meaning of this insanity?" Blinky exclaimed.

What?!

Jim let go of Nomura as she transformed back into her human form, "What is she doing here?" Strickler was in his human form as well, "And you. I should've known. Gunmar takes Trollmarket, and of course you slither out from under your rock."

"They're here to train me, not lecture me." Jim hissed. His eyes were glowing yellow and red.

"Jim, when you said Strickler was back, you never said you were training with him." I scolded.

"If I'm going to kill Gunmar... I need to fight like Gunmar." Jim swung his sword towards Blinky and coughed a few times.

"Master Jim, your voice, your eyes." Blinky backed away a few steps and tripped over a coffee can. He sniffed it and immediately knew what was going on, "Yuck! You gave him Grave Sand. That's not meant for humans."

"The evil cocaine. Of course." I said.

Blinky shoved the can in Strickler's hands and looked at Jim, "Oh, dear." He approached Jim carefully, "Master Jim, look at me. The very reason the amulet chose you is your humanity." Blinky placed his hand on Jim's shoulder, but he recoiled at the touch, "And following your human instincts hasn't failed you yet."

Hearing this, Jim coughed as his eyes changed back and took off his armor, "I'm sorry. I lost myself."

"I feel like lost is the wrong word." I said. More like completely off the rails.

"Jim is a good kid, but a good kid can't kill Gunmar." Strickler said.

"Brutality and deceit won't suffice either." Blinky snapped.

"Sometimes deceit is the only option."

"Lies may work for you, but not me." Jim coughed.

Nomura snickered, "You lie to your mother every day."

"I protect her to keep her out of this."

"Same thing." I said, coughing sarcastically.

"We have a greater concern." Blinky said, "According to Aaarrrggghhh's reconnaissance, Gunmar has left Trollmarket."

"He still chases the Eternal Night." Nomura said.

"Until we learn more, we must remain vigilant and use this time to prepare..." Blinky glared at Strickler, "the right way."

"Let me just go grab my stuff." Jim said, grabbing his bag.

"We must take every precaution in the event Gunmar strikes." Strickler said, handing him the can.

I don't know when he'd ever need that stuff, but eh, whatever.

---------------------------

After all that, I made my way to the shop ahead of the rain, "Douxie." I called out.

Douxie stepped into the room, beaming when he saw me, "Hello, my pupil."

I smiled as I felt my ears turn red.

Gosh, he knows how to talk.

We went back to the room to continue the lesson, which I just now noticed was a small library. Archie was sitting on the table in the middle of the room.

"So, what do I have to do for my magic?" I asked eagerly.

"I noticed it when you were casting the spell the other day." Douxie placed the same pebble from before on the table, "You're focusing too much on the task at hand."

"What? But don't I need to focus for a spell to work?"

"Well, yes, but to an extent. You're doing it to the point where you're forcing your power to come. That kind of force doesn't work." Douxie explained.

"You must let your magic come naturally." Archie added.

Huh. Everytime I did a spell or a potion, Vendel and Blinky always told me to focus on what I was doing, but I didn't think it was possible to focus too hard.

"I didn't realize." I said shyly.

"Not to worry. It's something many beginner wizards do." Douxie said.

I held out my wand as Douxie walked behind me, adjusting my grip and stance. My ears turned red when his hand touched mine. I know he's only teaching me, but dang, this guy's cute.

"Just focus and relax." Douxie said gently, "Breath. Let your power flow through you. Let your power surround you."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I envisioned the pebble to turn purple and focused. Not as hard as I normally would, but I was focusing. I felt something gently pulse through my veins. I heard the pebble vibrate on the table again, more smoothly and shortly this time.

After a second, I didn't feel the pulsing anymore and I opened my eyes.

The pebble was purple!

A huge smile burst across my face.

"I did it!" I cried.

"Was that the color you were thinking about?" Douxie asked, grinning.

"Yes! Oh, my gosh! I did it!"

If only Vendel could see me now.

I pulled Douxie in a tight hug out of excitement, "Thank you, thank you."

Douxie hugged me back, "Don't think this trick means that you'll master all magic." He added, "This means that your spells should be easier. You still have a long way to go."

"Just don't teach her any spells of destruction." Archie said.

"I can never tell if you're complimenting me or not." I said.

"I'll never tell."

"Good." Douxie said flipping through a book, "Let's try another beginner exercise."

I still couldn't believe that I just did a spell right on the first go.

Being taught by Douxie is gonna be a blast.

Literally.