On The Run

I don't think I've been so anxious about anything in my life.

Toby was able to get Vendel's staff and we were gathered beneath the bridge waiting for the Janus Order.

"Dealing business with these vile agents..." Blinky muttered, "I dearly hope we are doing the right thing."

"Anything to get Aaarrrggghhh!!! back." Toby said.

"This is bad." I kept saying, "This is bad, this is bad. What are we doing? We can't trade Vendel's staff. What are they gonna use it for?"

"Whatever it is, we'll deal with it later." Amber reassured, placing her hands on my shoulders, "You know this is the best thing to do."

"Brace yourselves." Claire said when they saw headlights, "Looks like the creep patrol is here."

"Follow my lead. I've seen enough spy flicks to know how a handoff works. It's a precise ritual of nuance and power." Toby said.

Otto came out of one of the cars.
"Not another step, wiener schnitzel!" Toby called out. Otto stopped walking, "That's far enough! Now, throw us the antidote, and we'll throw you the staff!"

"Are you serious?" Otto asked.

"Deadly!"

Otto rolled his eyes as he took out a piece of paper from his jacket.

He tried throwing the paper, but paper being paper, it didn't go so well.

"You really made him throw a piece of paper?" I facepalmed.

"Now what, Agent Toby?" Claire asked sarcastically.

"Um, ok, fine!" Toby said, "Let's meet in the middle, but no funny business! Hands where I can see 'em!"

We all met in the middle.

"Enough theatrics." Otto said, "Do the exchange now!"

They tried to do the exchange, but they wouldn't let go of the staff or the envelope.

"Would you let go?"

They finally let go and each item was in the other's hands, "Yes. This will do quite nicely."

I felt my stomach twist in like 50 knots. I had a bad feeling about this. I know this was to help Aaarrrggghhh!!! and Jim, but we're lying and stealing from Vendel and giving one of the most ancient artifacts of Trollmarket to a, just as ancient, evil changeling organization.
Oh, what it means to be heroes.

Toby opened the envelope and read out loud, "Twig of worm's root, ounce of silver... this isn't an antidote! It's a shopping list!"

"It is the ingredients to the antidote. Boil these in oil until it burns, and that will bring your friend back. Pleasure doing business with you." Otto tried to open the car door, but whoever was inside was messing with him for a bit.

"Auf Wiedersehen!" Otto laughed as he drove off.

"We did the right thing." Claire said, "Right, guys?"

"That's what I've been trying to tell myself for the past hour." I said biting my knuckle.

"Desperate times, desperate measures." Blinky said, "Now, we must concern ourselves with some shopping. Hmm..." He looked at the list, "Where might we find the tears of one untouched by love's first kiss?"

Even though I was a candidate, everyone, including me, looked at Toby, "What? I've been kissed. Many times."

"Your nana doesn't count." Claire said.

"Oh."

----------------------

Later, we were in the Hero's Forge putting the ingredients for the antidote in a boiling pot of oil, most of which were disgusting.