Someone Who Gets Me

We were in the Hero's Forge warming up. Claire was learning how to use the shadow staff with Draal.

I was with Amber and Toby, who were practicing punches with Aaarrrggghhh!!!, "I don't get it." Toby said, "Claire just joined the team, and she gets to handle the super-sweet, megamatic portal staff?"

"And me?" I said bitterly, "I've been learning magic my whole life, and I've yet to master it. And she's acting like anyone can just do it."

"Well, she doesn't have it in the bag either." Amber pointed out, "At least there's that."

Toby flopped over, missing a punch, "Pfft! I've been by Jim's side since day one and what do I get?"

"Mmm... Got me, wingman." Aaarrrggghhh!!! said.

"Aw, buddy!"

Claire did some moves with the staff. Toby tried to do the same with a broom, but ended up hitting Aaarrrggghhh!!! in the face. He started to fake spar with Aaarrrggghhh!!!

After a bit, she made a small portal.

"She did it!" Aaarrrggghhh!!! said.

"No way! How did she do that?" Toby asked.

"She couldn't have just--" I was speechless. She actually did it. After having it for one day. It takes me at least a week just to master a spell.

"Whoa! I made a portal!" Claire said. It quickly disappeared, "Did you see that? I made a portal!"

"Yeah, if we need to teleport an olive or a baby mouse." Toby said.

"You said it." I mumbled.

It was kinda nice that Toby wasn't a fan of Claire anymore. At least he's seeing her in my perspective.

Toby hit Claire in the face with the broom, "Oops!"

I did my best to hold in my snickers.

"What did you just say?" Claire said.

"I said you have an awesome staff and you totally deserve it. Even though you lost the Killstone."

"Excuse me, Mr. God King, you were the one in charge of getting the stone and you blew it!" They started to spar with the broom and staff, "And if Jim were here--"

"But Jim's not here. You know where he is? Jim's getting chewed out right now by ghosts because of your butterfingers!"
She then hit Toby in the gut with the staff.

"And who you calling 'newbie'?"
"That's because you are one!" I said, backing up Toby.

"We've been eaten by a troll. What have you done?" Toby said.

"I've been keeping your butts alive!"
"Oh, yeah? Well, we've been there for Jim since the beginning."

Toby threw the broom at Claire, making her angry enough to almost hit him with a portal.

"Get down!" Jim said, tackling Toby down.

"Oh, my gosh, Jim! I-I didn't mean to!" Claire said.

"You really think magic is easy?" I accused.

"Jim, she tried to kill me!" Toby said.
"Stop!" Jim snapped, "Enough! The council was right."

"What did my father say?" Draal asked.

"He said that we need to step it up. And that's not just coming from him. That's coming from me, too. Our task ahead just got harder. If we want all the stones, the path now goes through Angor Rot. And we all know what that means. Even the council doesn't know how to stop him. We all need to pull our weight and that goes for me, too. That means more training, work harder--"