Welcome Home... Kind Of

I was done with my lesson with Vendel. As you can imagine, half my magic being gone makes my lessons harder.

I was walking around Trollmarket with a big green stain on my shirt from a potion explosion when I saw Jim walking around, taking everything in. I was glad he was happy to be back.

"Home is the same, school is the same, Trollmarket is the same." A troll glared at Jim, "Except for that guy. What's that guy doing here?"

"Hey, Jim." I said to him, "So, how's your first day back?"

"It's been amazing!" He said. He noticed the stain on my shirt, "How'd you get that?"

"Transformation potion gone wrong."

"Well, it's wonderful! You're still struggling with magic! Don't ever change!" He squeezed me into a hug.

"Well, I should hope that doesn't change about me."

"Stinking horrible traitor!" Blinky was heard from the library.

We exchanged glances before running into the library. Blinky was throwing some books into a fire.

"Blinky?" Jim asked.

"What are you doing?" Claire asked.

"You love your books!" Toby said, "This isn't like you!"

"Not my books." Blinky said, throwing more books into the flames, "I'm destroying any that bear my traitorous brother's name. Full of lies! My Gumm-Gumm brother cannot be trusted and neither can these!"

"These are facts, not his memoirs!" I said, trying to dig out some books.

"I just helped to start a fire." Amber said.

"Blink!" Jim said as he helped, "But they've been useful before, so they can be useful again."

"Aren't you gonna stop him, wingman?" Toby asked Aaarrrggghhh!!!, who then smelled him, "Uh, what's with Aaarrrggghhh!!!?"

"Leave him." Blinky said, "Since he's returned from death, his sense of smell has been curiously heightened. He's been sniffing everything for hours."

"Mm..." Aaarrrggghhh!!! said sniffing Toby, "You had Italian. Carbonara."

"Yeah, like, three days ago." Toby said.
"Meh, needed more garlic."

Jim tried to put the fire out with a water bucket.

I could've easily put the fire out with my water spell if I had it.

"Talk to Jim yet?"

"He says he hasn't found the right time." Claire said.

"It's not just me, right?" Toby asked, "Ever since he got back, he's been acting super weird."

"What do you mean weird?" I asked.
"He's been acting like everything's all butterflies and cotton candy."

"Give him a break." Amber said, "He's been away for too long, let him enjoy it."

"Hey, guys," Jim said, "you know what we need? A calling! I'm sure there's been tons of stuff piling up for us to take care of now that I'm back. Uh, a cursed box? Or a loose monster troll, huh?"

Blinky was still throwing the books into the fire.

"Actually, Claire and I kinda took care of that stuff while you were gone." Toby explained.

"Oh, ok. What about some training? It'd be good for us to get back in the Forge and... you know?"

"I smell Usurna." Aaarrrggghhh!!! said sniffing the air.