I Won't Say I'm In Love

After getting Merlin, we went back to Jim's house. It was morning and Jim was making omelets for everyone.

Merlin was fascinated by the fridge, "Mm. Fascinating." He kept opening and closing the door, "Mm. But how do you know the light goes out when you close the door?"

"I never expected Merlin to be in my house." Barbara said.

"You had trolls, goblins and changelings here." Claire said, "Why not a wizard?"

"Yeah." I said, "Plus, he's not the first wizard in your house."

"You got me there." Barbara chuckled.

"Merlin, the immortal." Strickler said, "What an honor." He bowed, "Allow me to introduce myself. Waltolomew Stricklander. Well, Strickler for short. I've been mentoring the Trollhunter."

"Spare me the life story." Merlin said, "Now and forever, changeling." He walked away.

Gotta say, I felt bad for Strickler. Yeah, he was pretty scummy, but he's been helpful.

"So Gunmar stole your staff." Barbara said when he was given an omelet, "Isn't that all he needs to make the, um, the, the--?"

"The Eternal Night, mom." Jim said, walking by.

"Yes, the Eternal Night."

"Fear not, Mother of Jim." Merlin said, "When I designed my staff, I put in a safeguard."

"See?" Jim said as he sat down with us, "We're in good hands."

I took a bite out of my omelet. It was the first time I tried Jim's cooking and it was really good, "Wow, this is great."

"Thanks, R.G." He grinned.

"Then again, no safeguard is a guarantee." Merlin bit into the omelet, "It's been centuries since I've eaten. Metalface here was lucky I didn't eat him back in the cave."

Toby was uncomfortable, dropping his fork, "He's joking, right?"

"Mm, not really. Time is of the essence. Take me to the nearest blacksmith at once."

"The surface is pretty lacking in blacksmiths." I said.

Jim brought Merlin to the garage, "We have a couple of tools and some old Christmas decorations. Will that work? Or... What are you making, exactly?"

"It's none of your concern now. No forge? No grindstone? Not even a bellows?"

"No." Toby said, "But Jimbo has a garage door. Check it out!" He opened the garage and closed it, "Open. Close. Open. What's it do next? Close."

"This will have to do." Merlin said disappointed. He looked around the garage.

"Well, when you said you put in a safeguard, how long do safeguards typically guard... safely?" Claire asked.

"Yeah, are we talking weeks?" Toby asked, "Years?"

Merlin started kicking Jim's Vespa, which Jim didn't like, "Depends on Gunmar's cleverness. A few hours." Merlin said.

"But you can stop him, right?"

"I have lost most of my magic." Merlin threw a hammer, almost hitting the Vespa, "But this old bucket knows a few spells. I need you to acquire a few items first."

"What sort of items?" Jim asked.

"I'm sure nothing too difficult to gather. Lend me your quill. I shall write you a list."

"We're fresh out of quills."

"Can you text it?" Toby asked.

"Eh..." Merlin wasn't impressed.