seventeen

For once in my life, I'm actually excited to get to school. I planned on sitting next to Michael in english and walking with him after final bell. If he wanted to, obviously. I think I've finally come to accept how things are now.

     I happily go downstairs to be greeted by my brother. I give him a hug once I see him.

"Someone's in a good mood," Niall chuckles.

"I am. Just this morning feels great," I smile. It feels like I'm floating, in a good way.

"You're right. It feels great right now," He smiles, "It's great seeing you this happy."

Niall and I talk about his trip while I wait for Calum. He talks about his friends being absolute crazy people the entire time. Drinking on rooftops, jumping into pools fully clothed, all the stuff you'd see in movies.

The honk from outside tells me it's time to go. I grab my bag, skipping out the door. Calum's grin greets me as I climb inside the hummer.

Calum doesn't point out the new happy aura that's surrounding me. He drives us to school, both of us singing along to the songs that play.

I don't think anything could ruin this.

My first classes go fine. They consist of me trying to count down the hours until lunch. I honestly couldn't wait. Just somethings about today made me want to be there more than normal.

     I walk into the lunchroom. I had wanted to stop by Michael's table and say hello to him. I get inside to see he's being accompanied by the girl he told me about yesterday. I make eye contact with her as I look at the pair of them.

     It's almost like something snapped inside of her. She starts reaching over to play with Michael's hair, saying stuff to him that makes him giggle. I glance down at the table where she's grazing his hand in a attempt to have him hold hers.

     A sinking feeling forms in my chest. I watch this other girl make Michael smile in a way that only I thought I could. She's hitting on him and he's letting her.

     Why is he letting her touch him like that?

     Maybe Michael doesn't like me as much as I had hoped. I would've figured since we had sex that he would at least like me somewhat in that way. But by the way he's interacting with Billie makes me reconsider.

     "Earth to Dawn. Come on, I'm starving," Calum says, pulling me out of my zoned out state.

"My bad," I turn my attention back to my best friend.

"You okay? You seemed kinda upset," Calum says as we sit in our booth.

     "Yeah, I just saw something weird. That's all," I explain, my eyes shifting back to Michael. Billie is still trying to be handsy with him.

Why am I jealous? He doesn't owe me anything.

Is it even my place to be upset right now? I want to talk to him but what if he thinks I'm being clingy? Or what if he only wanted to be friends? I'm probably overthinking.

I barely touch my food, too engulfed in my own thoughts to focus on eating. My stomach turns from the sight of seeing some other girl make him happy. I bite my lip to hold back the burning feeling in my throat. I stare down at my lap, avoiding looking at anyone around me.

"Dawn, what's up? You can tell me," Calum's hand reaches over, placing itself on my hand. He squeezes it to show he cares.

"I like him," I mumble. I look up at my best friend, who clearly didn't hear me. "I like Michael," I say, making the statement more clear this time.