40

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack by how fast it was beating. My hands were sweaty and I had a hard time getting a grip on my workbook as I tried to take it out of my locker. I pressed my lips together as I tried again. This time my workbook didn't slip from my hands and I could place it with the stack of books I was carrying.

I turned to face Toms and gave him a forced smile. Closing my locker, I started to walk towards our English class. 

"You're going to do perfectly," Toms commented a few seconds after we started walking.

"No one can be perfect Toms." I rolled my eyes.

"Excuse you, I am perfect." He said, acting offended.

I laughed. "Of course," I replied sarcastically.

"Are you sarcasming me?" 

"Yes, yes I am." 

There was a long silence before he finally said.

"Okay then."

I genuinely smiled then. Sadly, the English classroom was in front of us and we were about to enter. That for the first time that year ruined my mood. I stood at the door not willing to move in and seal my fate. 

"Come on Woman, in the class you go," Toms said as he pushed me inside. I sent a scowl over my shoulder before heading towards my desk at the back. I quickly took out my cue cards and started to go over them before sitting down in my chair. 

Normally I would pace but I couldn't do that in front of a bunch of people. What if they thought I was crazy for pacing in circles? So I sat at my desk flipping through the cards and mumbling the words. 

My stomach was a bunch of nervous knots. I could claim I had the flu but then I would just have to present when I was better. I couldn't have the flu forever. Well, maybe but I wasn't going to take the time to come up with that elaborate plan. I only had a few minutes.

"How do you say falling?" I hear Toms ask from where he now stood next to me.

"Uh, falling?" I answered, confused. 

"No." He said his brows furrowed. "I can't just yell or say falling. It doesn't sound smart enough."

"Plummeting to my death? Or simply plummeting." I offered.

"That's good. I like that word, plummeting. Sounds very fancy." He nodded.

I looked back at my things and frown. I am not ready to go up but I doubted I would have much of a choice. I put the cue cards down and took a few deep breaths. 

I got this. 

No, I dont. 

I got this. 

No, I dont.

Totally got this.

Totally dont got this.

"Hello? Earth to Bree!" I heard Toms say and I blinked. I realized Toms was waving a hand in front of my face. Clearly, I owned out if I just noticed a hand in front of my face. My gaze turned to Toms and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I was thinking."

"Thinking takes too much work. Just do what I do, dont think." He said with a shrug.

I sighed. It sounded like a great idea but for some reason my brain had decided that not thinking would never be an option. As I pondered how I would be able to talk in front of the class the bell rang.