46

I throw another book into my backpack that's sitting on the edge of my bed. I don't know how long Toms plans to be streaming while I'm over so I need to be prepared. I'm not really mad at him for the fact that he is going to stream while I'm over. It's his job and I'm perfectly content with just being in the same room as him and hearing his voice. 

I walk over from my bookshelf and zip up my bag. It should do. I grab my phone in my back pocket and check for any messages from Toms. I just want to be sure I'm not missing an important text from him about something. 

If he needs to reschedule it's fine. I would understand. It's not like I haven't already been to his house. I would be fine to just watch the stream instead. He probably thought I was weird when I asked if I could come over today. Why had I ever done that? Darn, why can't I just act normal? 

I bite my lip and shake my head. I need to stop overthinking this. I was going over to Toms's house and I was going to have a good time. 

I grabbed my bag and made my way downstairs. Aunt Clara, mom and Ava were the only ones home right now. Toby had gone to a friend's house and Uncle worked on Saturdays. Once I was at the bottom of the stairs I could see a stressed Auntie Clara on the phone and I could hear Lilo and Stitch on the tv. 

"Yes, I understand. I'll be there. Yes. Okay, see you then." Auntie Clara sighs before hanging up. 

You can see the wrinkles forming on her forehead as she starts to think. I decide that it's a nice thing to do and go up to her.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I sit on the stool. I still had a bit of time before I needed to leave. 

"They need me at work. The law firm just got this big case and they need all hand on deck." She pursed her lips. She was a great lawyer and she specialized in adoption and cases involving kids. "Could you bring Ava with you? Your mother hasn't left her room all day-"

"Yeah, I can. I understand." I interrupted her. 

I knew mom got like this and if I was needed to watch Ava I wouldn't hesitate. I was just a little worried since I was going over to Toms's while he was streaming and bringing a child. 

"Thank you so much, Bree." She said as she grabbed her purse off the counter. She gave me a grateful smile and rushed out the door. 

I took out my phone and took a deep breath before texting Toms. 

Tommy and Bree's text messages

My Woman: Hey so I have to watch Ava today. Is it okay if I bring her over?

My Toms: Yeah. 

My Toms: The child right?

My Woman: Yes the child, the one you taught to that Americans are evil.

My Toms: I was entertaining her

My Woman: That's not how she remembers it. 

My Woman: She's scarred. She can never look at a squirrel the same way again.

My Toms: Well you better fix it, half of them are our troops. No need for her to be murdering the wrong ones.

My Woman: MURDER? This is your problem now.

I quickly shut off my phone from receiving more text messages and pulled my bag from where I had sat it on the floor. I opened it up and grabbed a water bottle, a few snacks and a couple of children's books we had lying around. 

If Ava was coming over she was going to need to be entertained. 

"Ava! Turn the tv off were leaving!" I yelled as I walked towards the entrance and started slipping on my shoes. I heard a few things drop and hoped that whatever happened Ava came away unscathed.