Chapter 5

( Ashley's pov )

'LAWSON!!! GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME!! THATS THE THIRD SHOT YOU FAILED TO DEFEND!!!' coach shouted out me but I couldn't be bothered to care anymore. My mind was on her and I couldn't get her out of my head, even if I tried. I just messed everything up like always.

Suddenly, one of my team mates kicked the ball and man does she have one hell of a kick. Since I was still out of it, I didn't even realize that it was heading straight towards my head even though my team mates shouted: 'Watch out Ash!!' or 'Dodge the ball!!'. So unfortunately for me, I had to suffer more pain not only in my heart but also in my head.

'Sam, help Ashley to the nurse's office. Make sure to ask the nurse not to let her go until she thinks she's perfectly fine.' Coach instructed. Sammy nodded.

'And after you dropped her off come back ok? You will have to be the temporary team captain fro today.' She said sighing but pointing towards the door.

Sam put my arm around her neck, balancing me but the bump that was forming on my forehead was killing me. I just groaned out. The damn thing was starting to give me a headache.

'C'mon you silly person, let's get you to the nurse's office right away.'

'Yes doctor Blake. Whisk me away.' I said, giggling.

She chuckled back, obviously amused by my behaviour.

Jade, the girl that hit me, ran up to us, appologising again and again for what just happened. I guess she was scared that people would start thinking that she delibrately tried to hurt me when it was only just an accident. However, I told her it was fine and all good.

When we finally got to the nurse's office, it seems as if I was not the only one who suffered a 'fatal' injury.

I saw Skylar who was sleeping peacefully on the bed. Well I think she was sleeping? Her beautiful face had a huge black eye and a few bruises around her cheek. Whoever did this to her will die and I meant it. She still looked beautiful to me though and her black eye just made her look even more bad ass which was kinda cool.

'You care about her don't you?' Sammy asked me, giving me a smile.

'E-er no..she's not my type...' I stuttered out. Damn, did I say that out loud?

'Yes you did Ash and its ok. Your secret is safe with me though.' She said giggling. I let out a sigh. Thank god.

'C'mon, lets get you to the bed....next to Skylar.' She said, smling deviously. Just great. Thanks alot Sammy!!

'You'll thank me later, don't worry.' She winked.

The nurse soon walked in, which was Sammy's cue to explain everything that happened. She asked me why I didn't dodge the ball but I couldn't tell her the truth, especially since the reason is right next to her passed out. Sammy of course knew why so she was smiling like an idiot. Such a tease.

Anyways, the nurse told me to lay down on the bed next to Skylar. She gave me pain killers and water. I swallowed them quickly. Then she gave me an ice pack, placing it on my forehead. Once she checked that everything was ok, she went back to whatever she was doing in the first place.

Sammy already left so it was just me and Skylar left in the room. Her soft snores filled the air. I turned over to face her, holding my ice pack in place. 

I wonder who did this to you? And why?

I sighed.

Might aswell practise saying sorry right?

I looked at her again, making sure she wasn't awake. I took a deep breath before practising.

'Hey Skylar, I know your pretty mad at me now...and yeah I understand why. I was being a dick and I appologise for that. My head wasn't thinking straight so I just blurted out the first thing that came into my mind but the truth is....' She stirred a little but was still asleep so I continued. 'The truth is Skylar, I think I'm falling for you. I don't know why but my heart just does these little jumps even when I just hear your name or just see you looking so tranquil..' 

I turned away.

'But I know that I can never have a chance with you. Your perfect Skylar but I'm just a disappointment and a failure......I just hope one day you'll give this loser a chance...' I whispered, letting a lone tear run down my face.