Chapter 3

I had to go on the aeroplane by myself, which was alright, I was expecting to have to go with that social worker but she just walked me to the terminal. I had to sit next to this couple, as the seats where in threes, and they pissed me off. Too much PDA. Luckily, I sat next to the window, so I could watch the aeroplane fly. I listened to music all the way there, as music is my true love, but it didn't help speed up the journey, and as much as I tried, I couldn't help my thoughts directing towards my now dead mother and critically ill father.

I walk out of the aeroplane and blink at the heat, it was January therefore meaning it was freezing in England, but here it was very hot. I found myself pulling off my leather jacket, and regretting wearing tights.

"Faith is that you?" I hear someone ask, I turn and see a woman dressed very smartly. I can't help but twist my mouth in disgust at her outfit, it's like a business suit for woman, and all she was doing was picking me up from the airport. Was this my aunt?

"Who the fuck are you?" I can't help but ask, she gasps at my swearing but immediately composes herself.

"I'm your aunts main servant." She says, tittering at me. I can't help but feel taken a back, my aunt has servants? Jesus Christ.

"Oh. Where does she live?" I ask, as we walk towards the luggage claim. Before we left I was dropped off at my house to pack my things, I only packed the bare necessities, so I only had two backs. I had the bag I brought in the aeroplane with me; My laptop, phone, all that lot. Then the bag that we was waiting for had my clothes.

"Melbourne." She replies curtly. I'm actually quite good at geography, so I knew this is in Australia. I nod at her, and she rolls her eyes. Wow, how rude. I ignore her from then on. I see my bag and grab it, I carry it with some difficulty, but the maid, who I have no idea what she's called, makes no move to help.

The drive to my aunties household was uneventful, but I couldn't help but admire the views here. Everything seemed more pure than England. While were I lived was bleak and grey, it was bright and lively here. It kind of hurt my eyes.

"We're here." The maid says. And I turn to look out of the other window of the Land Rover, and gape at the building in front of me.

The actual house it huge, it must have 5 floors, and the ground is about the same size as a football stadium. I feel way out of my depth here, but I know it's still going to be amazing. They said my dad is going to recover in a few months? I can stay here for a few months.

"Are you going to get your bags?" The maid says in her Australian accent. I quite like their accents, but it makes me stand out more as I sound so different, which I don't like. I grab my bag from the boot of the car, and swing it around wildly, waiting for her to lock the car. At this very moment, the door to the mansion swings open, and out steps a large lady with a chubby face.

"Faith! It's me! Aunt Bess!" She squeals. She has her hair pulled into a tight bun, and has a face full of makeup. Her outfit is quite unflattering, as it is a tight dress, but she doesn't seem to have a problem with her weight, which I respect her for.

"Hello. I didn't even know I had an aunt." I say feebly, I don't know why she's making me uncomfortable, she reaches to hug me straight away and I step back in shock at this immediate contact.

"Your mother never told you about me? Figures, she hated me." She laughs, she has a weak Australian accent, because when she says mother, it sounds very British.

"It's a shame what's happened to her. Is there going to be a funeral?" She questions, picking up one of my bags. I quite like Aunt Bess, and decide I'll try not to cause too much trouble with her.

"There'd be no one to go to it." I shrug, she looks as though she's about to say something, but stops herself.

"Do you want a tour?" She says eventually, I just nod.

There was 4 floors, not including the attic and basement. There's a gym, cinema room, study, computer room, a huge kitchen, a dining room, 2 living rooms, 4 spare bedrooms and then her room and my room. Her room was very decorated with art pieces, some were even originals, I began wondering what Aunt Bess did as a job.

"And this is your room." She says, pushing open the White door. Every door looked the same, so I knew I was going to get confused. The room is very bright, but that is because at the opposite end of the door, is a huge window, that has another door in the centre of it. I walk towards the door and open it. I have my own balcony which looks onto the beach. I look out at the view for a few moments before turning around to check out the room.

There is a double bed at one end, a huge mirror/wardrobe (the mirror has doors you open to get into the wardrobe), a walk in wardrobe and en suite, some drawers and a desk with an Apple Mac sitting on top of it. All of the furniture and furnishings are white, even the carpet, which I know I'll ruin.

"If you don't like it. We can redecorate, your arrival was a bit of a shock so I couldn't prepare the room to your liking." She muttered, watching me intently.

"No! I love it! I feel like I'm dreaming seeing this house!" I exclaim, then try to calm myself down as I sounded like an exited 5 year old at christmas. She chuckled at me.

"Okay, now the serious stuff. I'm out at work quite a lot, sometimes the whole weekends, I hope that's alright?" She looks at me for clarification, and I nod.

"No parties, though." She adds, I want to retort that I don't even know anyone, but I bite my lip to stop myself and nod.

"We have a few neighbours, some of them have kids that go to your school, I think 4 of them are boys, one in the year above, the others in the year below, and then they're 3 girls, 2 in your year and one in the year above. You are 17 right?" She quickly asks, I nod trying to take in all this information. She quickly looks at her watch, to check the time.

"Okay I'm late for work, oh and we have 4 workers, 3 maids and a chef. You've met Cindy, our top maid. I'll introduce you to the rest when I get back. Unpack then explore the house! We have a pool outside so you can go swimming, so that'll be cool." She says, rushing out of the room quickly.

I sigh with relief when she's gone. I don't mind her, she just talks to much. I do what she says, which is a surprise for me, and unpack my things, not that I have much. Since she has a pool, I decide to put on my one and only bikini, and put my clothes back on over it, apart from the tights. I get my sunglasses as well, as I remember the sun being very bright outside.

I shut the door slowly, and walk around the floor my room is on for a while. On my floor is a bathroom, one spare room, and the cinema room. I don't bother going into any of these rooms, just peeping through the doors. The floor above is Bess' room, and 2 other spare rooms, and above that is the 'workers' floor. I'd rather call them servants though, as that is basically what they are. I'm quite lucky to be on the 1st floor, though, as I don't have to walk down too many stairs.

As I exit the house through the back door, which is through the kitchen, I gape at the garden. It is massive! The pool could be a communal pool, it is so big, and I can see a tennis court as well as a section where flowers and trees are growing. I walk towards the pool, and take off my tank top and shorts, then sit at the edge so just my feet are in the water. I keep my sunglasses on as I'm facing the sun where I am sitting, and I'd rather not blind myself.

"Who are you?" Someone asks, I turn and see a boy sitting on the wall that separates this house and the one next door. He has red hair, but really pale skin, and a piercing going through his eyebrow. His wearing an all time low t-shirt, so he must have great music sense.

"Could say the same to you, considering you're sitting on the wall of now my fucking house?" I snap, he grins at me,

"Ooh, feisty. Well I'm Michael Gordon Clifford."