Chapter 43: Dreams and Reality

Katniss' P.O.V

Grey eyes identical to my own beamed in my direction, feeling like they where looking ahead of me, not at me.

They glistened as the sun shon on them and reminded me of mysterious clouds in the sky. These eyes belonged to a young boy, you could even say a toddler, being only around five years old.

Whispy, dark brown curls covered part of his forehead. The curls reminded me of Peeta's hair while the colour was again the same as my own. I concentrated hard on his cute baby face, he was undeniably beautiful, resembling some of my own and Peeta's features.

I felt love as I looked at him. I felt happiness...

He was my son.

I tried to pick him up, but my hand vanished when I touched him. I repeated this furiously again and again until he finally spoke;

"Mama," with a bubbly gurgle. His voice sounded cracked and sad. He was craning his head, looking around frantically.

"Baby," I let out kneeling down to his level. "Mommys here. I'm here with you."

Without hearing my words, he started to cry. "Mama..."

"I am here." I try to stroke his chocolate brown curls, but my finger goes straight through him. "Please don't cry."

He can't see or hear me...

Does he know I'm here? Is he all alone in this strange parallel dream?

"Momma," He repeated. "...Dada...Will-ow." He must know Peeta and Willow.

I try and hug him but it's no use. I must be a ghost...or...maybe he's the spirit...

"RYE!" I blurt out naively without even thinking.

Rye? Why did I just say this? Would this of been his name...if...

I look at my son who I had just met for the first time. Pain and loneliness covered his face.

"I'm sorry." I apologise to Rye from the bottom of my heart. "I said I was never going to have kids," I admitted to him partly since he couldn't hear me. "But I went against my words for myself and mostly your father at the time even though I always had a sick feeling of the Games would start once more and horribly, I was in fact right. I hate myself baby for not protecting you and your...sister." I sniff. "I've been a horrible parent and no amount of apologies will fix this mess..."

After my confession, his sad face softens and dimples form on his round cheeks as he lifts his head up.

I swear he saw me in that short lived second...

I awake drenched in cold sweat, panting and scared. It was all a dream...

But what I know for certain is that he was my son. I could tell instantly.

I looked up to see the barely familiar room empty.

Yesterday after I confessed my secret about my miscarriage to him, I stormed out of the room, unable to face anymore confrontation with him than I already had. I ran to the only unoccupied, spare room I could find and just cried myself asleep.

I haven't seen Peeta since that incident yesterday and wether I like it or not, I need to face my fears. I rise from the lumpy, unfamiliar room and head out of the room and down the corridor to see Peeta.

"Katniss!" Hearing my name, I stop in my tracks recognising the voice calling to me.

"What is it, Haymitch?" I then turn round to face him.