Chapter Forty-One

*Trigger warnings for torture begin now. Nothing serious in this chapter but it's setting up what will happen. Next chapter is going to be INTENSE, please read it with caution.*

•Talia•

•Talia•

My hands are damp with nervous sweat. Walking through the corridor down the stairs makes me claustrophobic.

They're down there.

But they're restrained. They can't hurt me. They can't get to me. They can't make me physically relive the things they did to me.

"I'm right here," Ryder says on a whisper at my back, his hand pressed reassuringly on my lower spine.

My breath catches at the ease he gives me just by being there. He doesn't completely take away the fear, the pain, the worry, but he does a pretty good job at keeping it at bay.

I freeze in the middle of the stairs, my mind trying to take me back against my will. Ryder's hand slips around my waist and grabs my hip, reaffirming that he's here.

"I've got you."

Taking a calming breath, I force my feet to move forward, down the last few concrete steps. It's cool down here but it'll be stifling in that room, especially when I get to work. My blood with be racing, adrenaline will be pumping. Murder is exhilarating. In the most bizarre of ways. It doesn't hit you in the heat of the moment what you've done, only later does it really sink in. But in the midst of feeling blood on my hands and someone's life leaving this world, I felt powerful. Even more powerful knowing the lives that left weren't worth staying corporeal.

We get to the landing right outside of the door that requires a code before entering.

Ryder pulls up behind me, dropping his hand from my waist only to grab my hand instead.

"Say the word, and I'll open the door."

My eyes flick to the metal door that requires a ten digit code to get through. The room it reveals is small, maybe the size of a large closet. Big enough for three restrained bodies and two to stand without feeling cramped. The last thing I need is to feel trapped in that room.

As if I can see right through the door, I picture the three of them, chained up and unconscious.

Vince Darren.

Paul Smith.

Matt Bartlett.

Vince is a father of two toddler girls. The mother of his children isn't married to him but they still see each other casually. He lives in a modest two bedroom home with a pretty yard for the kids to play in. On the weekends he takes his boat out to go fishing. His daughters are young, they won't even remember him.

Paul Smith doesn't have any children but he does have a beautiful young fiancée. And I mean young. The woman is barely eighteen and it's clear they met well before she became of age. It makes me wonder how on earth she got herself tangled up in him and if she's even there by her own free will. Pictures of them make her look happy, but I can fake a smile too and my heart is barely repaired. Paul also enjoys fishing on the weekend, choosing to go with his grandfather who is seemingly a lovely man. I'm sure he'll be missed, but his family will recover.