Chapter Seventeen

*Be warned, the chapter AFTER this one is a continuation of this one. It will be brutal and unsettling to read. I will not give a summary other than Talia is going to get her revenge in any way she deems necessary. This chapter is still for any readers, but the following chapter will be for people who can stomach it. I am forewarning you now so you know not to click on the next chapter and go straight to Chapter Nineteen.*

•Talia•

•Talia•

Dressing in a floral dress I picked up at a boutique here in the city, I quickly rid my face of any remaining tears that may still be present.

After being calmed down by Pa, I picked myself back up, had a smoke, shared a fine evening farewell with Pa, and went straight back upstairs.

I feel like death, but our talk perked me up and knowing that I'll get to see Ryder soon is also a plus.

I drag a brush through my hair, pulling it back into a ponytail and running a flat iron over the ends to straighten out some of the flyaways. A few spritz of perfume later and I'm staring at my reflection in the mirror, checking myself over to make sure I look appropriate.

The dress is causal, but still formal enough for the dinner party - even though I can guarantee if anyone in the club bothered to dress up, they'll still have their ratty ol' cuts on their backs. A few will probably still not even bother to wear much other than a tee shirt and jeans - a staple outfit of just about everyone in the club.

I originally decided to forgo wearing underwear, but decide against it and slip a pair of panties on under my dress and flatten the floral fabric back out over it.

It'd be nice if I could finally be with Ryder in the way I know he wants. Maybe tonight's surprise will lead to that.

Skipping asking him for a ride, I grab a cab and get dropped off in front of the Den, paying the woman driving and turning back to the entrance.

Music isn't blaring but it's still prominent in the breezy night air around me. Like Ryder said, hangarounds and customers not affiliated with the club are absent from the festivities, the picnic tables out front empty. The bins where fires blaze are dark. The parking lot is practically empty, aside from the few cars belonging to June, Arielle, and Letha.

Stepping over the gravel in my heels is a feat I wouldn't wish anyone to have to do, but I manage it, making it to the door and pulling only to find out it's locked.

Pulling out my phone, I start drafting a text to Ryder to let me inside but the door is pulled open before I can hit send, revealing the devil himself, standing there in a deep purple shirt, completely unbuttoned to reveal a black tank top underneath.

And his cut, that damned cut is exactly where I though it would be - plastered on his back like a second skin. Truthfully, I think it's hot, but I won't feed his ego any further with telling him. He already knows he's irresistible. Hell, he managed to wear me down after a year and I'm almost certain I was the first girl who made him work that hard.