3 - Heart, Hate & Heroes

"Prys."

"Sorry only my friends call me Prys," I smile in a fake way. I have no intentions on interacting with Heath Kade. I'll be honest, I've never really liked him. Especially how he absolutely broke my sisters heart. She didn't get out of bed for weeks.

I watch as he rolls his eyes. My eyes flicker to his style, chains, rings and tattoos. He's definitely different. A physical and visual upgrade. "What're you doing here?"

I shrug looking around realizing everyone in the cafeteria is watching our interaction. But I don't care. "Mommy and daddy weren't quite the happiest with my recent entertainment choices where the consequences led me to jail. Juvie too!" I add. Honestly my parents have enough money to bail me out and pay off the judge to keep me out of a juvie. But in the summer they thought it'd be good if I go for a few months and see how I would want to change my life around.

Safe to say, it didn't work.

Heath's eyes widen slightly, an amusing tint to them. "Like what? Steal a book from the library?" He jests.

"What do you care, Heath," I breathe out. Penn and my parents warned me to stay away from him. Not that I listen to them. My parents because they think I'm going to ruin his current "perfect" reputation and Penn thinks he'll corrupt me even more.

"Don't. Curious," he states.

I stare at him for a few minutes wondering if I should tell him. "Drugs, alcohol, joyriding, minor in possession, assault. Shit like that," I try to recall my recent charges.

He lets out a real laugh and I keep my face straight. He stops realizing I'm not joking and raises a brow. "You're serious? You and Penn are like the perfect children," he points out. Define the perfect child. In my opinion it should be a child who's happy with their life.

"Was. Well, I was at least. Penn still is," I shrug in response. Thank god I never thought I'd be happy to hear the bell. "That's class. Don't talk to me again," I pick up my backpack off the floor and walk away. I hear light footsteps and immediately know they're Maya's.

"I think I'm in love with you," Maya sighs, making me laugh. "Seriously though that was badass. Don't worry I have some of the same charges and Heath definitely has ten times more," Maya winks.

My brows knit together once again in confusion. I thought he became a "good" kid. Who am I kidding, It's Heath we're talking about. "You're telling me he's not a good kid currently?" I ask. Maya lets out a cackle shaking her head.

"Pleaseee," she drawls, biting back a laugh. "This guy parties, gets fucked up and lands in jail on a weekly basis. I'm honestly surprised he manages to keep good grades yet he's in detention all the time," Maya explains.

Why would Heath's parents and mine talk about how much a better kid he became if he didn't. Unless they don't know and assume because of the grades. That's honestly all parents care about. Penn told me he will and has never changed. He's probably right.

"Here you are. English class. You have a free period next you're allowed to do pretty much whatever. You can use the library space I showed you even. Have fun. Text me when you're done," Maya waves before walking off. I gave her my number earlier.

I walk in the class and salute to the teacher before heading straight to the back corner. I open my bag and take out my "water" bottle and earbuds. I don't plan on listening to this bullshit class. Students file in one by one over time. Until he walks in.

I watch as he makes his way over to me. "Don't sit next to me. Great," I mutter under my breath when he takes the seat next to me. I turn my head looking at him and he flashes me a grin.