Nostalgia

Almost 60 years ago.

Percy stretched and rolled over, wrapping his arms around his beloved wife.

He felt more than saw Annabeth wake, before she rolled over, sleep still clouding her eyes. "I don't want this to ever end."

"Shhh. You'll jinx it." Percy mumbled and felt Annabeth shake with laughter.

It was peaceful. And Percy wouldn't let any god change that.
------------------

Percy and Annabeth had only been living in New Rome for a year but it was already starting to feel like home.

Sure it was a lot quieter than New York, and random demigods would challenge him to fights but at least they would accept a different time and date unlike the "Right now" most monsters tended to schedule their fights by.

Also a plus, Olympus was on the other side of the country and moving 2902.2 miles away was a pretty clear indicator he wanted nothing to do with them.

Of course, that didn't really stop several of them from showing up in New Rome to talk to him and he was pretty sure the guest speaker at the collage from last week was Mr.D in disguise, but Percy would take what he could get.

Annabeth had already left for work, the 20 year old the head architect for the new section of New Rome, preparing for the influx of Greek demigods coming to enjoy the safety of the ancient city.

Percy had been asked to be a swordsmanship instructor by Reyna when he and Annabeth had first moved her, but he had turned her down.

Riptide was too heavy right now.

Instead, he preferred to help around the city, keeping himself busy or attending lectures at the collage from a variety of speakers or riding Blackjack over the city. D

It was peaceful.

It wouldn't last.
--------------
Percy woke up alone, a knife flying into his hand as he registered the three presences in his bedroom.

"Get the Hades out." He warned. "I said I'm done."

"Perseus Jackson."

"You are needed."

"This is your fate."

A blue string turned gold, lighting up the room.

"Aw hell no!"

Then everything went white.
--------------
Posideon gripped his son's shoulder, wrapping his own immense power around him in an attempt to keep the seas from boiling over with Percy's rage.

"Unfortunantly, even my brother cannot control the Fates. We can't find them either. Apollo and Artemis are both looking though."

Percy seemed to take a deep breath, glowing form flickering as he tried to reign his power back in.

"Don't bring it in. That will make it worse. Let it out, only keep a little bit and let the rest do what it needs to."

Slowly, Percy stopped glowing, opening green eyes that had tears welling up in them. "They took the one thing I actually wanted to keep from me."

Posideon drew Percy into a hug. "I know, my son. I know."
-------
Annabeth, Clarrisse and Thalia stromed into Olympus, Athena appearing in their path.

"Where is he?"

"Annabeth, my child.. I'm afraid the Fates have done something not even Father can undo."

Annabeth's eyes widened, clutching to Thalia as she leaned what had been stolen from her husband.

"No."
-------------
"You need to choose domains to help stabilize your power." Posideon explained. "I'm giving you tides to help. Apollo says Cheeseburgers are yours if you want it and Hermes is insisting on passing on Unfortunante Explosions."

Percy laughed for the first time in days. "Blue food?"

"Sure."
---------
"Do you have any ideas what you want to do now?"

Percy looked at Artemis, in her usual form of a 12 year old silver eyed girl, but he could see her true form shimmering just under the surface, of a terrifying huntress.

"I don't know. I still don't want this."

"You've always said you didn't want demigods to have to fight. Perhaps you can do something like that?"

Percy frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, the Hunt if more than my followers. We help demigods when we come across them and provide a safe place for maidens to live their lives. Perhaps, you can spend eternity doing the same, guarding the peace of demigod lives."

Percy frowned, thinking on what the moon Goddess had said. "A Guardian, huh?"
----------------
"I miss you."

"I miss you too. It's still not safe though. I'm getting better, but I keep exploding things when I feel something other than indifference."

Annabeth laughed. "Keep working on it. I'll wait for you. Until the end of time if I have to."

"That reminds me. I was talking to Artemis and she gave me an idea, about what to do with my life now that growing old isn't an option."

Annabeth hesitated before responding. "And that is?"

"I want to help protect demigods but I also don't want to loose you. Artemis says she'll teach me how to give people limited immortality if I go through with this but I want to help keep demigods safe, be there when their teachers try to kill them, like backup satyrs who can actually do something about the monsters."

"That sounds like an amazing idea. It would change our world." Annabeth said, obviously remembering the desperate run to Camp Half Blood when she was seven. How different would her life be if demigods had sought out her group and helped protect them from Hades's monsters?
"What would you call us?"

"Us?"

"Like I trust you to run an army long term. You'd crash and burn without me."

Percy laughed. "I would most definently do that. So Lieutenant Annabeth, what do you think of the name Guardians?"

"I think it's perfect."
----------
Two weeks later.

"Dibs on third!"

"Why are you in my house?!"

---------
Today is the 1000th day since I published Facial Recognition. It's weird. And also nostalgic.
Ta for now, your Tyranical Overlord.