Does everyone hate me or do I just need to sleep?

"Captain, nine vessels off the stern!"

Roran looked up from where he was taking a break from sparring with Clarrisse, who enjoyed beating every man in Carvahal into the deck, insulting them and repeating the process.

At least they were less likely to die.

The villagers had been aboard the Argo for a full day now, some, just as Percy had promised, joining in the crew while the children played under the watchful eyes of Katie, Skye, Vivian, Lizzie and Sophie, gathered on the Argo four.

Percy, upon hearing the call, burst out on deck, pulling a telescope from his bag and taking a look.

"We can't afford a battle with children on board." He yelled. "Prepare to take off. Set a course for south-south-west. Attach the bridges and find all spare leads and pass them to the civilians, youngest first. Get Carson and Elaine on making more. Load rear canons and take warning shots should pursing vessels come within our range! Tie everything that isn't bolted down!"

"Sir!"

The decks burst into activity as the crew rushed to fulfil their duties, the other ships taking action as well.

A girl swung on a rope with a bag in her hand to the ARGO four, tossing it to Katie before swinging back to her home ship.

"Roran! Get the villagers below deck and out of the way! I told you our ship was enchanted and your about to find out why. It's going to get a bit hard to breathe out here in a minute. Here, put this around your neck." Percy warned, only pausing in his beeline for the helm long enough to pass on his warning and toss him a pendent with the same symbol on it as the hull of the Argo's, a shield with a sword and trident crossed behind it.

"I want to help!"

"Fine! Help stock the cannons!"

Across the fleet, villagers were being bustled into the ship, leather straps being drawn across anything moveable and cannons being swivvled to face the pursuing fleet.

It was to one of these strange bronze tubes Roran rushed to, one that seemed undermanned, or wommaned in this case.

"Get below deck!" The red haired girl yelled.

"The captain told me to help."

"Fine then! Grab a crate and haul it over."

Roran quickly found a crate, discovering that it was far heavier then the crew made it seem, and dragged it over to his impromptu battle partner.

The girl opened the crate and told Roran to inspect the orbs for any obvious defects as she loaded the first volley.

The sails went up one after another as soon Roran, Albriech and Baldor, Horst's sons, we're the only humans on deck.

"Captain, their closing on us!"

Roran could make the ships out now, three huge full riggs and five schooners, all bearing the crest of the Boddering Empire.

"Fire cannons!" Annabeth yelled and Roran was nearly deafened by the loud blast as one of the schooners exploded into splinters. "Reload!"

"Percy! Slow them down!"

A huge wave rose up between the Argo Fleet and the Empire's, forcing the ships back as they attempts to avoid crashing into each other.

Valuable distance was gained as the ships struggled to pull themselves back on course.

"Take off in three, two, one!" Someone yelled, "Hold on to something!"

The entire Argo shuddered and suddenly tilted towards the stern and for one horrifying moment Roran thought they had been struck and were sinking.

The ships lurched and jolted and the farmer turned blacksmith turned leader heard a sound similar to Igualda Falls but on a slightly smaller scale.

Roran stood to see the most miraculous sight as the Argo four next to them began rising from the water and into the air.

"If you don't have a pendent get below deck." The red haired girl cautioned.

"I have one." Roran said. "How..."

"Don't ask me. Leo designed these ships. Their his pride and joy, even if the Custos usually crew them."

Another defending boom as a hole was put into one of the full rig hulls and the Argo two pulled free of the ocean, rising into the air, closely followed by her sister ships.

Higher then the trees, then higher then the crows best on the empire ships, finally steadying over a league in the air.

Annabeth was still yelling orders as the ships pulled in closely, long bronze beams holding them together. As soon as they were latched, crew members began racing across them, moving supplies around, and plotting a new course for Surda that didn't involve hugging the coast.

Percy was standing on the railing, pendant attached to his belt as he glared at the fleet that had slowed once the Argos were airborn.

"Gods above." Baldur said. "They are sorcerers."

"We warned you before you came aboard." Someone said testily. "Some of your number couldn't accept it and traveled on foot."

"I know. But it's one thing to hear it and another to see it."

That seemed to appease the crewmate, who returned to his duties, scampering up the riggings like a squirrel.

"You alright?" Percy asked, jumping down and striding over to Roran.

Roran was struck for a moment on how young Percy looked, like he should be only half way through an apprenticeship, not captaining his own fleet that could soar through the skies like birds.

"Yes." Roran said. "I apologize for the trouble my villiage and I have brought down on you."

"Don't worry. Average Tuesday for us. The worlds are full of wonder and magic but we have the misfortune to only run into the part that wants to eat us."

A few of the crew nearby chuckled and Annabeth grinned. 

Excited cheering caught their attention as the children were carefully lead back out on to the deck, one being especially excited about the fact the birds were flying below them, each wearing a green pendant.

"What are these?" Roran asked, holding up his pendant.

"Ever tie a rope to yourself before you climb somewhere high up?"

Roran nodded, remembering raiding bird's nest with Eragon when he was young.

"It's like that. If you fall off the ship it will keep you from falling to your death until we can pull you back up." Annabeth explained.

"Alright then, let's get dinner started and-"

And earth-shattering roar echoed through the air and Roran felt very very small suddenly.

On the horizon he could just barely make out the huge shape of a blood red dragon."

"Huh." Said Percy thoughtfully. "Must be Thursday."