Thirty Nine

Newt wakes up around six. He blinks against the evening sunlight. He sits up. Then, Thomas walks in the room.

"Hey," He says, kissing him softly. "You feeling better? Less like you're dying?"

"I mean, I guess so." Newt says. "Can I go home now?"

"Yeah," Thomas says. "But do you have to?"

Newt looks at the other boy. "You can't look at me like that. You know I'll stay if you look at me like that."

"That's the point." Thomas says, sitting next to him.

Newt sighs. "Fine." He rests his head on Thomas's shoulder. "You're annoying."

"I know I am." Thomas says.

The next day at school, Brenda walks over to them.

"Hey!" She says. "You didn't die!"

"Guess not." Newt says.

"I really thought you were going to die." Brenda says.

"Alright, that's enough." Thomas says.

Newt laughs. "She didn't really think that."

"I dunno." Brenda says. "You really seemed like you were dying."

"Oh my god." Thomas says.

Newt kisses him. "Let her be. It's fine."

"Okay, bye." Brenda says. "I have to go."

"Yes." Thomas says. "Yes, you do."

Brenda rolls her eyes but walks away. Thomas sighs. Newt grabs his hand.

"Tommy, relax." Newt says.

"I'm not...unrelaxed." Thomas says. "No, that doesn't sound right. Whatever. That's not the point."

Newt chuckles. "Okay, Tommy. Come on. Let's go."

After school, Newt, Brenda, and Thomas sit in Thomas's room. Newt spins around in the chair.

"Why does he like that thing so much?" Brenda asks.

"Brenda," Newt says, stopping spinning. "Don't disrespect the chair."

Brenda looks at him. "You can't disrespect a chair."

"Well, you just did." Newt says. "So clearly, you can."

Brenda rolls her eyes. Thomas smiles. 

"How do you put up with this?" Brenda says.

"Brenda, he's adorable." Thomas says. 

"Yeah, Brenda, I'm adorable." Newt says, folding his arms. 

Brenda chuckles. "Okay, sure." She stands up. "Well, I have to go. Bye, boys."

She walks out the door. 

"She doesn't appreciate the spinny chair." Newt says, frowning. 

Thomas gets up and walks over to him. "I appreciate the chair."

"No, you don't." Newt says. He stands up. 

Thomas puts a hand in his hair. Newt looks at him. Then, he leans forward and kisses him. He snakes his arms around his waist. 

Thomas pulls away slightly. "You keep doing that."

"Doing what?" Newt says innocently, tilting his head. 

"Kissing me randomly." Thomas says.

"What, do you not like it?" Newt asks, smirking.

"I didn't-I don't-it's just-" Thomas shakes his head. "Forget it."

Newt chuckles. "Alright, Tommy." He moves apart from him. "But I know exactly why."

Thomas looks at him. "Go away."

Newt laughs. "Sorry. I'll shut up." Thomas puts a hand on his face. "Tommy, what are you doing?"

"I just..." Thomas sighs. "I love you. I love you too much. I love you so much that sometimes it hurts but...you're so perfect. I don't understand why on earth you love me too."

"Tommy..." Newt says quietly. "You are so amazing. How could I not love you?" He kisses Thomas softly. "And I'm not perfect."

"You are, though." Thomas says. "You really are."

And he kisses him again.

Newt lays with his head in Thomas's lap on his bed. Thomas plays with his hair. Newt reaches up and touches his cheek with his fingertips then draws his hand back. Thomas leans over and kisses him. Newt sits up and wraps his legs around his waist, kissing him. Thomas's hands stay in his hair. Newt kisses his neck. Thomas inhales sharply. 

Newt looks up, smirking. "Sorry." He says. "I should stop doing that."

"No." Thomas says. "Never, ever stop doing that."

Newt laughs. "Alright, get up."

Newt climbs off of him and stands up, grabbing Thomas's hand and pulling him up too. He intertwines their fingers as they walk downstairs. 

"I want ice cream." Newt says.

"It's March." Thomas says. "No one eats ice cream in March."

"I eat ice cream any time of the year." Newt says. "It tastes good." He opens the freezer and grabs two ice cream bars. "Eat it." He says. "It'll make you happy."

"That's not how it works." Thomas says but takes a bite anyway. "Oh," He says. "Maybe it is."

Newt laughs. "I told you so." He says. "Now, Tommy, very important question. What's the best flavour of ice cream?"

"Uh..." Thomas says. "I dunno."

"How can you not know!?" Newt gasps. 

Thomas chuckles. "I don't really eat ice cream."

"Okay," Newt says. "I don't know how we're dating."

"Because you love me." Thomas says, wrapping his arms around him. 

"Awe, I wish that weren't true." Newt says. "How I love someone who doesn't eat ice cream is beyond me."

Thomas laughs. "Okay, I love you too." 

He kisses him and starts to pull away but Newt kisses him again.

A/N: My. Arm. Hurts. So. Bad. Anyway, thank you guys for reading and I love you all! <3.