Twenty Four

"Tommy, do you even know how to drive a fucking car?" Newt asks, laughing, as he swerves off the road for the hundredth time. 

"Of course I do!" He defends.

"Well, you can't get us pulled over or we'll be stuck in jail." Newt says.

"Not how that works." Thomas says, straightening the car. 

Newt puts a hand on his thigh.

"Okay, we can either not die or you can do that." Thomas says.

"I mean..." Newt says, shrugging. But he moves his hand to his knee. 

"We should get food." Thomas says.

"I'm on board." Newt says immediately. 

Thomas laughs. "Alright."

Later, when the sun is setting, Newt and Thomas lay in the same seat, arms around each other. 

"This was a wonderful idea." Newt says, resting his head in the crook of Thomas's neck. "I wish we never had to go home."

"Maybe we don't." Thomas says. "Maybe we could just run away and never go home."

"Tommy," Newt says. "Don't be ridiculous. As much as I love you, we'd just get caught and get in even more trouble." 

Thomas nods. "Yeah. But maybe just for a week."

"We'd miss school," Newt says.

"It's fine." Thomas says. "We never do anything on the first week of school anyway."

Thomas pulls him closer. Newt moves so he lies on top of him. 

"Newt, what are you doing?" Thomas asks.

"It's fine, I'm just tired." He says. 

Thomas smiles and laughs softly. He wraps his arms around him and kisses the top of his head. Newt sighs contentedly. He lifts his head. He presses his lips to Thomas's gently. 

"I thought you were going to sleep." Thomas says. 

"This seems like a better use of my time." Newt says.

He slips one hand under Thomas's shirt. Thomas gasps lightly. Newt smirks. 

"You gotta stop doing that." Thomas says.

"Why, Tommy?" Newt says, still smirking. 

"I'm not answering that question." He says. 

"Mhm." Newt says. "I thought so." 

Newt kisses him again, moving his hand higher. 

"Newt, quit it!" Thomas says. 

"Ugh, fine." He says. He moves his hand out of from under his shirt and rests his head on his shoulder. "I love you, Tommy."

"I love you too." He says, hugging him tighter. 

The next morning, Newt wakes up. He rubs his eyes. 

"Tommy." He whispers. "Wake up."

Thomas stirs, squinting. "Oh." He says. "Morning. I forgot where we were for a second."

Newt smiles, running a hand through his hair. He kisses him softly. "You want to go home or no?"

"Never." He says.

"Well, we can't just abandon our families, Tommy." Newt says. 

"Fine. As long as we can stay, though, please." Thomas says. He looks at him.

"No." Newt says. "You're not allowed to make that face. You know I can't say no when you do that."

"You can't' say no when I do something else too." Thomas says. 

"Did you mean that to sound like that?" Newt asks, raising an eyebrow. 

"Maybe." Thomas says. "I guess we'll never know."

"Get up." Newt says, shoving him into the other seat. "Drive and shut the fuck up." 

Thomas laughs but sits up straight and starts the car. Newt buckles the seat belt as Thomas starts driving.

"This has to be illegal on so many levels." Newt says as they drive. 

"Nah." Thomas says. "Only one."

Newt laughs and takes one of his hands. He plays with his fingers, running his thumb across his palm. Thomas squeezes his hand. 

"I love driving with you." Newt says, looking out the window. "I wish it were legal."

Thomas bursts out laughing. The car swerves slightly.

"Tommy!" Newt says, gripping his hand tighter. "Drive properly!"

"What do you expect?!" He cries. "I'm fifteen!"

"Alright." Newt says. "Alright. I'm sorry." 

After a few hours, they sit in a peaceful silence. Newt rests his arm on the edge of the window. He sighs.

"You okay?" Thomas asks, glancing at him.

"No, yeah." Newt says. "I'm fine. It's just...I feel bad. I left Lizzy." A tear falls down his cheek. "But yeah. I'm fine."

Thomas pulls the car over on the side of the road. He unbuckles both of their seat belts. Newt has his hands in his lap, looking down. Thomas brushes a tear off his cheek.

"You are not fine." Thomas says. "You're worried about Lizzy."

Newt sniffs. "I'm sorry. I know it's stupid. I worry about her too much. It's so dumb." He wipes at his eyes. 

"Let's go home." Thomas says. 

"No." He says, his voice wet. "We don't have to."

Thomas takes his hand. "We're going home, alright?"

Newt nods, smiling slightly. He wipes away his tears. "Okay." He kisses him softly. "I love you so much, Tommy."

"I love you too."

A/N: Wow how did I post three chapters in a day ijhblnujhymnlk Thank you all so much for reading. love you all <3