Fifty One

Newt sits on the bus, his heart racing. He takes Thomas's hand.

"Nervous?" Thomas asks, running his thumb along the palm of Newt's hand.

"No." Newt says. "It's the same school we've been going to for two years. I'm not nervous. It's just eleventh grade. And I don't get nervous."

"Everyone gets nervous." Thomas says.

"Yeah, well, I'm not nervous." Newt says. He shifts in his seat, his stomach twisting.

"Then why do you look nervous?" Thomas asks.

"I dunno." Newt mumbles. "Cause I'm not nervous. Maybe I'm just sick."

"You're not sick." Thomas says. "You are nervous. Just relax, okay? It'll be fun."

"No it won't." He says, looking at his lap. "I don't want to go."

Thomas looks at him. "Come here." He says. Newt presses himself against Thomas, resting his head on his shoulder. Thomas puts his arm around him. "It'll be okay, I promise. You don't need to be nervous."

"I'm not." Newt says. His breathing quickens as the bus turns a corner. "I don't want to go!" He says, wrapping his arms around Thomas's waist.

Thomas kisses the top of his head. "It's okay. We're in all the same classes this year, remember?"

Newt nods, his eyes widening as they pull into the school. "Yeah..I'm still scared."

"Scared but not nervous?" Thomas asks.

"Mhm." Newt says.

"Alright, come on, we have to get off the bus." Thomas says. Thomas gets up and grabs Newt's hands. He reluctantly drags his feet. "What is wrong with you? Why are you so upset today?"

"I'm fine." Newt says, holding his hand tighter.

"You are so not fine." Thomas says. "What is wrong?"

Newt turns around and hugs him, putting his arms around his neck. "Nothing." He mutters. "I'm okay." He presses his head against Thomas's neck.

"Okay, this is crossing the line from slightly concerned to worried for you." Thomas says. He wraps his arms around him. "Please talk to me."

"It's just..." Newt sighs. "It's barely anything, really. It's just that I'm sad. I really, really don't want summer to be over."

"But you're never that upset about it being over." Thomas says.

"I don't know." Newt says. "I'm just sad. Summer is happy. School sucks."

Thomas kisses him softly. "It'll be okay. You'll have fun. It's okay."

"But I'm gonna miss you." He says.

"We have all the same classes." Thomas says.

"It's not the same." Newt says, pouting.

"Okay, how about this," Thomas says. "You come over after school and you stay for the night, okay?"

Newt nods. "Okay."

Newt kisses him, putting his hands in his hair.

"Newt, no." Thomas says. "Not now. Later. I promise."

Newt frowns. "Fine."

At lunch, Newt rests his head on the table.

"Boys!" Brenda says. "I missed you idiots. What's wrong with this one? Sad he can't fuck you at school?"

"Kind of." Thomas says.

"Wait, I was kidding." Brenda says.

"Well, not exactly." Thomas says.

Brenda pokes him. "Newt, wake up."

"I'm not asleep." He grumbles.

"Just sad you can't fuck him, right." Brenda says.

"Brenda, would you please shut the fuck up?" Newt says.

"Jeez." She says. "He's pissy."

Thomas puts a hand on his back. "Hey, be nice, alright?"

"I don't want to." He says, not lifting his head.

"I know." Thomas says. "But just four more hours, okay?"

"Okay." He says. He moves his head so it's in Thomas's lap.

Thomas plays with his hair. "Okay."

Later, Newt and Thomas sit on his bed. Newt leans over and kisses him.

"Thank you, Tommy." Newt says. "You're so perfect."

"You feeling better?" Thomas asks.

Newt nods. He takes Thomas's hand. "That nail polish took forever to come off." He observes. 

"I'll have to redo it."

"I don't own any nail polish." Thomas says.

"Fix that." Newt responds.

Thomas chuckles. "Alright. I'll get right on that."

Newt laughs softly. "I love you." He murmurs, leaning closer to him.

"I love you too." Thomas says.

Newt kisses him, putting his hands in his hair.

"This, exactly this, is why I hate school." Newt says. "There's no kissing in classes."

"Not yet." Thomas says. "Maybe they'll change that."

"Oh, shut up." Newt says. He leans against him. "Brenda was right."

"What are you talking about?" Thomas asks. "She's never right."

"And yet here we are." Newt says. "She was right about one thing."

"And what is that thing?" Thomas asks.

Newt doesn't say anything, just kisses him and this time, Thomas doesn't pull away.

A/N: Um...wow i've written a lot today. Anyway, love you guys! Thanks for reading! <3.