Twenty

"I never thought I'd say this, but I miss school." Newt says. "There, I had a purpose." 

Thomas laughs. "You still have a purpose." He says.

"And what is that?" Newt asks.

"Kissing me." He says. "And also, you know, just existing in general." 

Newt gives him a look. "Shut up, Tommy."

Thomas laughs. "Sorry." He says, chuckling. 

"You," Newt says, moving closer to him. "Are the most amazing and annoying person I have ever met."

Thomas smiles. "It's my only goal in life."

Newt rolls his eyes, smiling. "Shut up."

Thomas kisses him, wrapping his arms around his waist. 

"Tommy!" He says.

"What?" Thomas asks. 

Newt pauses. "Oh. I usually just say your name and you kiss me. I hadn't thought past this point."

Thomas chuckles. "Seriously?"

Newt shrugs. "I mean, it is true, but I'm mostly kidding." 

"Fair enough." He says. "Does this mean I can kiss you again?"

"Sure, Tommy." He says with a laugh. 

And he does.

Thomas and Newt sit in Newt's bedroom. Thomas leans against the bed and Newt lays across it. He plays with Thomas's hair. Music plays on his phone.  

Thomas looks up at him. "Hi."

"Hi." He says, laughing. He kisses him. 

"You're adorable." Thomas says.

"I know." Newt says. 

Thomas laughs. "Alright." 

He gets and lays next to him.  Newt sighs happily. Then, his mom walks in. Her face is white and tear-stained.

"Mom?" Newt says, sitting up. "Mom, what's wrong?" She lets out a sob. "Mom!" Newt says, getting up off the bed. "Mom, what happened?"  

His stomach fills with fear. Something really bad must have happened. His mom doesn't cry. 

"It's Lizzy." She chokes out. "She was in an accident." A wave of dread passes over him. "We have to go." She says. "To the hospital."

"She's...she's not dead, is she?" Newt asks, tears falling down his face.

"No." She says, shaking her head. "No. But we have to go. Now." 

He nods as his mom walks out. 

"Newt?" Thomas says. 

Newt barely hears it. He can't hear anything. It sounds like wind is rushing through his ears. Thomas grabs his hand.

"Come on." He says gently. "Let's go. I'm coming."

"You don't have to." He says, voice shaking.

"Yes, I do." He says. "Come on." 

Newt walks out of the door, hand in hand with Thomas. He nearly trips over his own feet as they walk down the stairs. 

In the car, Thomas wraps an arm around him. Newt buries his head in shoulder. He's shaking. He can't help it. 

"It'll be okay." Thomas murmurs. 

When they get to the hospital, his mom tells him to wait in the waiting room with Thomas. He doesn't want to but he listens. 

"Tommy, I'm scared." He whispers, tears falling down his face. 

"I know." Thomas says. "But it's going to be okay."

"What if she dies, Tommy?" He asks, looking up at the other boy.

"She won't." Thomas says firmly.

"But what if she does?" He says.

"She won't." He says again. 

Newt sits pressed against the other boy, almost in his lap, fingers intertwined. He closes his eyes, breathing heavily, quickly. 

"Hey," Thomas says. "You need to relax. It's okay. She'll be okay. Just relax, okay?"

"I c-can't." He stutters, tears rolling down his cheeks. "She could d-die. I'm such a bad brother."

"No." Thomas says. He takes his face in his hands. "No. You are not a bad brother. This is not your fault. The car crashed, okay? That's not your fault. Unless you were driving the car and crashed it. It's not your fault."

Newt looks at him. "Wh-what if she dies?" He asks quietly. 

"She," He says. "Will. Not. Die. She'll be fine. You'll be fine."

Newt buries his head in his neck. "I'm sorry." He says, shaking. "I'm sorry."

Thomas wraps his arms around him. "No, don't be sorry." He says gently. "It's okay."

Then, Newt's mom walks over, a doctor following her. 

"Boys." She says.

Newt lifts his head. 

"Hello," The doctor says. "I'm Dr. Kepner. Lizzy will be just fine. She just got out of surgery." Newt squeezees Thomas's hand and holds it tightly. "She should be awake soon. You can go see her if you want."

Newt looks at her.

Thomas gets up and pulls Newt up to. "Come on." He says in his ear. "Let's go."

They walk into Lizzy's room. Newt nearly falls over. She looks so small, hooked up to all those machines. He grabs her hand. She stirs.

"Newt?" She says hoarsely.

"Oh my god, Lizzy." He says. "Lizzy, what happened?"

"I was going to Harriet's house. The car crashed." She says. "My head hurts."

"I know." He says. He runs a hand through her hair. "I'm so glad you're okay."

She smiles. "I love you."

"I love you too."

That night, Newt sleeps in Lizzy's room in Thomas's arms, a hospital blanket draped over him. Thomas hugs him close. Thomas won't sleep. He just stays awake. He won't go to sleep until he knows Newt will be okay. Newt shifts, waking up. 

"Hey," Thomas says softly. "How're you doing?"

"I'm okay." He says. He kisses Thomas. "You should go to sleep. You look exhausted."

"No." Thomas says. "I'm good."

Newt leans into him. "You are so perfect."

"So are you." He says, kissing his forehead. "Go back to sleep."

Newt nods. "Okay." He mumbles, already half asleep. 

He falls asleep, his breath evening, head resting on Thomas's chest.

A/N: 0_0. hehe sorry. I just didn't know what to do and when I don't know what to do I kill or almost kill people. Anyway, thanks for reading. Love you all <3.