Six

Newt wakes up, Thomas's arms wrapped around him. Newt smiles and chuckles. Thomas stirs in his sleep, pulling Newt closer. Newt kisses Thomas awake. Thomas squeezes his eyes shut. 

"Mmm." He says. "Morning."

Newt kisses him again. "Morning, Tommy."

Thomas sits up. Newt groans but sits up too. 

"I don't want to go to school." Newt complains. 

"Are you ever going to tell me what happened?" Thomas asks. 

Newt shifts. "Can't we just forget about it?"

"No." Thomas says, running a hand through Newt's hair. "No, we can't."

Newt sighs. "Maybe later, Tommy." He says, looking away from him. 

Thomas nods. "Alright. But come on, we're going to school."

Newt groans. Thomas grabs his hand and pulls him out of bed. Newt laughs and laces his fingers with Thomas's. 

"Fine." He says, kissing Thomas quickly before letting go of his hand and walking downstairs. 

Both boys wait at the bus stop when Brenda runs over. 

"Hey, boys." She says. "What's up?" 

Brenda glances down and Newt realizes they're still holding hands. Newt drops his hand. 

"Uuuuuh..." Thomas says. 

A smile spreads across her face but she doesn't say anything. "Well, how are you guys?" She asks.

"Good." Thomas says at the same time Newt says, "Terrible."

Brenda laughs. "What's wrong, Newt?"

"Thomas made me come to school." Newt says, glaring grumpily at the boy. 

"Why didn't you want to come to school?" Brenda asks. 

Newt stiffens. "I don't want to talk about it."

Thomas grabs his hand again. "Alright, come on. Let's get on the bus now."

Newt nods and the boys climb on, Brenda walking up after them.

They sit down and Newt rests his head on Thomas's shoulder. 

"Hey," Thomas says quietly. "Are you okay?"

"I just really didn't need all the reminding." Newt says, closing his eyes.

Thomas runs a hand up and down his leg. "I know." He says softly. 

"I wish we didn't have to go to school." Newt says. 

"I know." He says.

Newt sighs as the bus drags to a stop. "I really bloody hate school."

Newt sits in Science, fiddling with his pencil. He draws on the side of his notebook, not able to pay attention. He misses Thomas. He knows it's only been an hour but he really does miss him. He scribbles a note or two down so it looks like he's doing something.  

The bell rings and Newt stands up, looking for Thomas in the halls. He sees the boy leaning against his locker. Newt smiles and runs over to him.

"Hey, Tommy," Newt says. 

Thomas grins. "Hey."

Newt kisses him, putting his hands in his hair. Thomas kisses him back until he remembers where they are.