17_Discernment

LAYLA

I could never get used to seeing him disappear like that.

Then I mop around the apartment suddenly feeling very lonely. 

I snap to the door when I hear it open and see Luke enter. Feeling glad that he was home early I approach him when I notice his red puffy eyes and tear-stained cheeks.

"What's wrong? Were you crying?" My stomach drops and my mind makes up all the scenarios where he could've been hurt.

At my question, fresh tears brim up his eyes and he holds onto me, sniffling on my shoulder.

"Luke?" My voice was soft as I hold him to me.

"Tomorrow, Lay. It's the day." His voice trembled.

I was confused for a moment before I realized what he was talking about. How did I forget about it? I was so engrossed in my own world I forgot about everything else around me.

Tomorrow was the day when everything happened. It was the day millions died and the world almost ended. It was a day no one could forget. It was the day everyone would gather by their beloved ones who passed on. 

Luke always became emotional during these times because he never knew who his father was. His grandparents, aunt, uncle, brother, sister, any family he had didn't exist anymore. 

And I, well I never knew who my family was in the first place so I didn't have anyone to grieve for or a grave to visit. 

Time passed as I watched Luke grieve his lost family. After all these years I still didn't know how to console him except for being there for him. I distracted myself with Luke so I don't get into my head thinking about matters that would bring up bad memories.

I didn't notice Vlad not visiting me that night as I fell asleep holding onto Luke.

The next morning we got up early and got ready, monotonously. The gloomy atmosphere was already in the air.

We dressed up in the black dress saved for this day. None of us remembered making breakfast as we left home to the town cemetery. 

We see Luke's mom already standing beside their family property as her eyes blur with tears when they fall upon us. Luke rushes into her arms. She hugs him tight then looks at me, extending her arms for me to join them. The lump in my throat is thick as I'm wrapped around by her motherly warmth.

I stood by Luke and watched everyone else gathering with their own family, some weeping and some simply remembering the wrath that consumed us this very day.

My thoughts suddenly shifted to my mate when I thought about what he would do now. My grief grew only bigger as I thought about how none of the alphas had a place in the cemetery and none of them were even remembered.

They were monsters. They brought this upon us.

My thoughts were muddled and I didn't know what to feel anymore. On one hand, my heart hurts thinking of the family my mate lost but on the other hand, I remember that they were the monsters who killed millions of innocents.

I watched everyone mourning for their loved ones. 

Why didn't I ever ask him about it? He was my mate and I simply accepted him as he was. I never questioned his family or his people. 

If none of the alphas existed anymore how was he even alive? How did he survive the fucking war? How is it that nobody knew about his existence other than me?

Determination and anger settled in my heart as I knew what I wanted to do tonight.

•♧-----------☆◇☆----------♧•

Writing this chapter was so sad😔

But I'm very excited about the next one!

What do you think?

~SN~