CHAPTER 17 - Nightmares: Part 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Master Ubuyashiki,

I hope you are doing well. We have reached the town of Shi-niju* (check footnotes). I have remembered a recent report regarding the town's odd rumour of its activity. Being Kyojuro Rengoku's sector of observation, and since his death, the sector had not been under watch.

Kanao Tsuyuri and I have arrived upon Shi-niju without any troubles on the way, and I'd like to mention of great news. We have found Pillar Zoro in the town out of pure coincidence. But, we have received a rather disturbing rumour from one of the households. Many people have disappeared in the past few days here in Shi-niju, beginning from an expedition of traders who had left town three days back, and never to have reported arriving upon their destination. The people are afraid, and I was planning on an investigation out here to purge the doubts. I highly believe demons are at large.

I haven't received any reports from Shinobu or Giyu Tomioka, but I believe they are holding their own. I'll try to keep you informed based on our developments in this journey. Also, I've attached a corresponding letter to Trafalgar Law, situated at the Butterfly Mansion, and I hope this letter reaches him and mentions his comrade's situation.

Yours sincerely,

Tengen Uzui (signature)

Tengen Uzui

Sound Pillar, Demon Slayer Corps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoro was done with his dinner without further trouble being acquainted with the intruders.

"So, you came to find me, eh?" he asked, gulping down the alcohol.

"Yeah." Uzui nodded, signing off on the paper. He went outside and found a crow hovering above. He attached the letter to the bird and observed it move away to the sky.

"We heard from sister Shinobu's letter that you had surrendered to the enemy." Kanae said.

"You were locked up in some ship. What happened?" Uzui asked returning back. He locked the door and asked the household husband to increase the light. The family was glad to realise that three Demon Slayers, including two Hashiras were along with them, waning their fear against the demons who could've hunted them at night. The light was brightened inside the room.

"That's true." Zoro said, "But I had my reasons."

Uzui believed Zoro wasn't in the will to talk of the incident and pushed no further on the topic.

"You mentioned that Shinobu was looking out for me. I must say, I'm surprised to hear her storm that pirate ship." Zoro said.

"I know. But she's out now and I've sent her a report of our union here. I hope it reaches to her." Uzui said. His voice had a tinge of unsureness.

"I sound doubt. What do you mean?"

"Crow messages have been delayed. We received Shinobu's reports regarding your situation much later than expected. Crows were found dead. The Master believes Demons are responsible." Uzui added.

Zoro got up to his feet.

"I got here out of pure chance. The town seemed dead. A freaking ghost town." he said.

"That's because there is evil festering in here." said the wife of the household. The husband tried to hush her, but Zoro agreed to her statement. He grabbed his Shusui.