CHAPTER 38 - Difficult

CHAPTER 38 - Difficult! Reliable Friends in Dark Times

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That evening Shinobu had an argument with Law, who had been recovering from his ordeal.

"I asked you countless times. Why are you so stubborn?" she bellowed.

"It's alright, now. The worst has passed." Law replied, trying to calm the fired-up woman.

"I don't understand you pirates. Every one of you is insane."

"How's Zoro-ya? Heard he took a beating from Doflamingo. You might wanna check on him."

"I did, despite his reluctance. He's alright." She turned around and found Zoro entering the room. The latter found her serious look.

"What?" Zoro asked in confusion.

Shinobu turned back to Law, took a deep breath and calmed down.

"How are you feeling now?" she asked.

"Nothing much. Except for a sting at the wound. That goddamn Gyutaro is dead and yet he's a pain." Law said. "Tama-ya was adamant that I stay in bed for a while."

"That's right. You are reckless. I'm surprised since you are a doctor, and a skilled one at that."

Law couldn't figure out if it was a compliment or contempt.

"Tama-ya and the others kinda said the same thing. I was reckless, alright." he said.

"Well, as long as you understand." Shinobu said. "I'll come back and check on you later tonight. Aoi shall be reporting to me of your antics."

Law observed the young Aoi beside Shinobu.

"Right." Law sighed, and lay down on his bed.

"You should take care of yourself, Law-san." remarked Kanao.

Law was getting tired of hearing the same thing. He regretted his negligence thanks to all the guff he was forced to hear. He found Giyu Tomioka next to the young girl.

"You wanna add something?" he asked.

"What she said." Tomioka replied, indicating Kanao, "That Demon lady, Tamayo, said you were in the process of turning into a Demon. Close shave, huh?"

"All's past now."

"Alright, come on everyone. We need to give the man some rest." Shinobu advised.

Zoro stayed behind whilst the others left the room.

"You wanted to talk?" he asked.

"You do know what's going on, don't you?" Law replied.

"You mean Fujitora and the former Fleet Admiral?"

"They are trouble. More so than Jack alone."

Zoro nodded.

"And then, there's Doflamingo. From the things I could figure out from Ubuyashiki's report, it seems the Demons were on cordial terms with that bastard. Tama-ya and Ubuyashiki believe Kibutsuji might want to turn Doflamingo to their side." Law said.

"Doflamingo seems unlikely to turn a Demon. He's a monster, to begin with. More so than that Kibutsuji, I'll say. How do you say the Demons were 'cordial'?"

"Ubuyashiki's scouts say he was unchained, unlike the other prisoners. The others don't know the threat should Kibutsuji and Doflamingo form some kind of alliance."