CHAPTER 2 - Dichotomy of Good and Evil

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where the hell are we going anyway?" Zoro demanded.

"You don't get to tell me where I am heading. You've wasted our time with your misdirection as it is. The hour's running late." Shinobu retorted.

"She's right, Zoro-ya. So why don't you stop your yapping and keep your direction?" Law gibed.

"Fine!" Zoro was annoyed.

The alliance of swordsmen was on their way to investigate another village that was susceptible to a demon attack.

"You said you are a Demon Slayer. Tell me more about this island and your work." Law asked.

"So you really don't know what's happening here?" Shinobu looked at him with surprise.

"No. You mentioned some Moon-Demon that I couldn't understand."

"First and foremost, I represent the Demon Slayer Corps, who are responsible for defeating Demons and protecting innocent people from falling victim. I'm referred to as the Insect Pillar of the Corps, a title given for my fighting style." Shinobu explained.

"I felt a weird presence back when you had stabbed that giant demon. That technique..." Law added.

"It was the Dance of the Butterflies, one of my techniques. "

"Butterfly, huh? It did resemble the aura."

"I use the Breath of the Insect, one of the many swordsmanship Breath techniques that allow a human to fight on par with Demons." Shinobu explained, turning towards Zoro, "Speaking of which, I commend your skill, Roronoa Zoro. Only a handful of people were ever successful in blocking my move."

"I can't believe that the blade was poisoned." Zoro said, "Good thing I read your move. Your katana has a unique shape. I believe you use it to stab your enemy."

"It's an efficient method to administer venom against the Demons." Law realised.

"Correct." Shinobu said, "That's the way I fight these monsters. Regardless of the poison, and as long as I can use my blade, the demons shall know pain." Shinobu said with a serene smile. Zoro felt it otherwise. She was trying to emit her true emotions.

"You are angry, aren't you?" he had to ask.

A pause.

"You just reminded me of a boy I had met recently. He found me out and said the same thing." Shinobu said, breaking the silence.

"What's that got to do with me?"

"Nothing. You don't seem like the kind to show mercy to Demons. So I believe, you are quite opposite in nature to the boy I mentioned."

"I haven't even met this kid. What did he do?" Zoro demanded in curiosity. He wanted to know how he differed.

"Cut it out, Zoro-ya." Law intruded. Zoro observed that Shinobu gave off an unsettling vibe. Maybe he struck a nerve. He agreed with Law.

"The boy's sister had turned into a Demon." Shinobu revealed, "You remember those Demons in that village? A few of them were humans that changed after they were attacked."

"Changed? Wait, you mean to say that the ones we killed were all humans?" Zoro gasped.

Shinobu nodded, "Humans turn when they are exposed to the blood of a powerful Demon, taking away their humanity while they ravage the rest of their kind."