CHAPTER 36 - Monsters & Regimen: Part 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moria kept his mouth shut. There was nothing he had to say. His career as a pirate was in the downside ever since he made contact with the Straw Hat crew back in Thriller Bark. And now that Straw Hat Luffy's henchman had brought along the notorious Trafalgar Law on the platter of trouble, Moria was simply tired. His two-year plan of rejuvenating his lost crew a second time had resulted in nothing more than a catastrophic end. The ambush attempt against the Surgeon of Death was a turnaround Moria hadn't expected despite having numbers to his side. And yet the cunning pirate of the Worst Generation flipped tables just as he had the habit of flipping his fingers.

"I am right, aren't I?" Law demanded.

There was no answer. A map was kept on the dashboard with Moria's head. The man kept a constant stare towards the waters coloured blue shown on the map known as the Pacific Ocean. He made no comment to Law's demands. But he did speak.

"If you want to finish me off, be my guest." Moria made a reply, "There's no way I'm cooperating."

Law had every ability to grant the request, but that's not who he was. A dead prisoner was no use to him, and besides, killing in cold blood was never his code. He'd rather return Moria's head to the body and fight, than to win without resistance. He observed his fellow former Warlord.

"I appreciate your stubbornness." Law said, "Nothing less I'd expect from a Warlord, and a pirate who went against Kaido, and lived."

Moria glared back at his foe, "Don't bring that bastard's name."

Law returned a smirk knowing that he got Moria's attention.

"Heard that Jack and Doflamingo have caused trouble out here." the latter mentioned, "Both bloodthirsty pirates whom I'd rather stomp to the grave than collect their blasted shadows."

"So it's true, eh?" Law asked.

"What?"

"I had heard of your history with Kaido, but was quite unsure with a rumour involving Doflamingo. The incident at Marineford. Heard he attacked you."

Moria did not reply. Another embarrassing instance.

Law decided not to probe but wrap up his interrogation. He hadn't expected much information out of the session and got nothing significant, but he did receive a vibe of uncertain leverages ahead. Moria couldn't figure him out. Law left without further word.

One week had passed since the day he had to fight the Upper Demon Moon Gyutaro and his sister Daki. As for the latter, she was a test subject in Shinobu and Tamayo's endeavour towards reversing demonisation, and curing lethal demonic poisons. Law assisted the project, but decided to let Tamayo take over the advanced research, due her prolonged life and her long research against Kibutsuji. Shinobu and Law took care of the infirmary dealing with an increasing surge of wounded Demon Slayers, most of them young and dedicated, sent out against the new wave of organised Demonic attacks on countless habitations. The deaths rose. Ubuyashiki was in concern. Despite the defeat of Upper Demon Moons, Hantengu (No. 4) and Gyutaro/Daki (No. 6), there was no cease of demonic activity. More the contrary. As Tamayo had mentioned, 'Kibutsuji was wounded'. And she knew a wounded Kibutsuji was more a threat, and relayed her concern with the whole enterprise fighting against the common enemy. Law understood Zoro had been impatient the whole week. The latter indicated his angst, despite making no remark. Their sojourn on the mainland had been longer than anticipated and proved disadvantageous against their plans in the New World. The new ship was in progress and awaited completion. Meanwhile, they had to lay low from common enemies all around. The primary antagonists awaiting be Jack 'The Drought' and the 'Demon King' Kibutsuji. Both were trouble, with formidable underlings.