CHAPTER 22

#UnforgettableMistake

CHAPTER 22
Celebration

The next days passed speedily—just like before. We were almost done with the preparation of the wedding anniversary of our boss. Hence, we could go home early now. My parents were also done with their mini-vacation with my grandparents, so they were back home.

"You can take a break tomorrow since it's Sunday. I'll take care of everything tomorrow. You need rest because when I'm gone, you will only have yourself," Mrs. Questro said as I started fixing my things—getting ready to go.

From my blue plume 28 verso bag, I looked at her. She was typing something on her laptop, so I only shrugged. She was right, though. I would only have myself once she was gone, and I needed to be prepared.

When she noticed that I was looking at her, she glanced at me for a second before smiling. "I know you can do things on your own. Believe in yourself, Daphne. You have the talent, and you know what you are doing. I won't resign and leave everything to you if you don't deserve it, or you can't do it." She chuckled. "And I know Mr. Santiago won't let me go if you aren't capable of being the manager."

"T-Thank you." I lowered my gaze and played with my fingers. 

This was the first time I've got to feel that everything was really meant for me. Hindi iyong dahil pinilit lang ng magulang ko. Mapait akong natawa nang maramdaman ang pamumuo ng luha sa mga mata ko. Since when did I become this emotional? Hindi naman ako iyakin, huh?!

"Oh, gosh, Daphne." Mrs. Questro was suddenly in front of me. She was holding a box of tissue in her hand. Hindi nagtagal ay nadama ko ang kamay niyang humahaplos sa likod ko. "I know what you are feeling. I was there, too," she whispered as she hugged me. "The feeling where you were questioning yourself if you really deserved it, or was it just because of my name?" She lightly chuckled. "Not all of your achievements came from your name. Take the credits for the things you did. You were the one who achieved it, not your name, not your parents."

Biting my lips, tears rolled down my cheeks because of what she said. That was what I wanted to hear. That was what I wanted to hear all my life. I wanted them to believe that I was here—I achieved what I achieved because of me—because I worked hard for it.

"That's right. Cry, Daphne, don't keep everything within yourself. Stop giving them the satisfaction—your misery."

Like what my manager said, I cried more. Nilabas ko yata lahat ng luhang nasa mata ko kaya nang kumalma ko'y pulang-pula na ito. Tuluyan na ring naghari ang dilim sa labas. Ayaw ko muna sanang umuwi dahil ayaw kong makita nila ang namumugto kong mga mata, ngunit kinulit na 'ko ni mom.

"T-Thank you for being there for me, Mrs. Questro," I thanked her. "And, I'm sorry dahil nabasa ko iyong damit mo," I shyly apologized as I looked at my fingers—intertwining them.

"It's fine. Go home now. Your parents are waiting. I know they're proud of what you achieved." She smiled.

I gave her a small smile. I hoped so. I hoped I made them proud now. That was one of my greatest dreams—to make them proud of me.

Natagalan ako sa parking lot ng hotel dahil nag-retouch pa 'ko. Nalusaw kasi iyong makeup ko sa pag-iyak. Dapat pala'y water proof ang binili ko. I stared at my reflection in the mirror for too long before sighing. 

"You're a great pretender in front of your parent. It's just a piece of a cake for you, Oli," I talked to myself. I faked a smile in the mirror before driving away.

It was a quiet ride, and of course, the traffic in EDSA. Hindi mawawala iyon hanggang nasa Pilipinas ka. I was already tired when I arrived at our garage. I should move out near the hotel. Hindi ko na yata kakayanin ang uwian araw-araw. It was too tiring.